Mindless drivers who only care for themselves

From bins to boy racers, have your say on whatever makes your blood boil
congerman

Mindless drivers who only care for themselves

Postby congerman » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:51 pm

Wheelchairs and mobility scooters have no chance with these freaking idiot drivers/parkers
Attachments
20180918_154543.jpg
20180918_154516.jpg
20180918_154508.jpg

seahermit

Re: Mindless drivers who only care for themselves

Postby seahermit » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:44 am

Certainly in this area of the country, there are no police, no street wardens, no anyone to control the selfish and opportunistic behaviour of people. This is the direction in which our society is sliding I am afraid and why almost all crimes have shot up. Politicians wonder why the population is cynical towards them ..

You did well to advertise the complete disregard for any rules, but why stop there? The internet makes it much easier to protest, send the photos to Amber Rudd MP and ask her what she intends to do (or say) about the lack of law and order/unsocial behaviour in her constituency. Post her reply (or her no reply!) on the internet, start a Facebook campaign (or get someone to help you do that) about the lack of discipline on the streets - I would support you and many others would too.

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:16 pm

"Mindless drivers who only care for themselves".

I don't entirely agree with this blatantly intolerant remark.
Double-yellow lines (actually they are called 'primrose' now) across the frontage of residential properties are not always entirely fair to home owners when there are no other means of parking nearby.
As long as pedestrians and ladies with 'prams' can still pass then why complain?
The traffic wardens can (and do) act accordingly and book serious offenders anyway.
Hastings has experienced a recent proliferation of double yellow lines lately, whereas St Leo's is still remarkably free from such restrictions for a variety of reasons.
Leave it to the authorities to act and remember that circumstances have changed from the days when cars were not even catered for in the (Victorian) times, when many properties were built without any need for such provisions.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:44 pm

I don't think that this is an intolerant remark - one person's "intolerance" is another's frustration and annoyance boiling over. Congerman is entitled to his views and I have a lot of sympathy.

It is true that the reckless proliferation of yellow lines, regardless of the needs of shopkeepers and homeowners, is excessive and not serving the community's best interests - rather it is probably bringing more income from fines into the council's coffers. But the cars in these photos are clearly not stopping for a moment, lights flashing, whilst the owners are making an urgent dash into some shop. They are apparently unattended and almost completely blocking the footpath - a practice which drives me mad often. "The traffic wardens can (and do) act accordingly" - where are the traffic wardens in these photos? What traffic wardens? I haven't seen one anywhere for atleast a year.

Sorry Richard, I think this is a fair complaint. And by the way, primroses do happen to be yellow!

Derek Jempson

Postby Derek Jempson » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:22 am

I live in an area where there is a plethora of fast food takeaways and there are also double yellow lines, pedestrian crossings and a bus stop. Takeaway customers frequently park on the pavement, and often, there are several cars all lined-up with some of the cars wholly parked on the pavement, forcing pedestrians and riders of mobility scooters to go into the road in order to get past. This is clearly unacceptable. Occasionally, the police will make a token booking, but it doesn't stop the problem.

Incidentally, I have never understood why some motorists park illegally and then draw attention to the fact by switching their hazard flashers on!

Richard

Postby Richard » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:59 am

Money made from parking tickets issued by a council will go to that council. Funds from tickets issued by police go to the Treasury, making civil enforcement potentially lucrative for the council as well as releasing police to focus on crime.
A problem to plastering double yellow lines everywhere is the effect on local trade as customers will just go elsewhere, such as a giant supermarket or shopping centre, where free parking is available, often leading to the decay of local shops.
I believe the 'primrose' yellow lines are half the width of the traditional ones and are for areas of environmental sensitivity, nice country villages, where wide yellow lines would appear ugly.
Primrose is pale yellow and less harsh and aggressive...

Perhaps disabled badge holders can park on x2 yellow for a limited period, were any of the two cars pictured showing such cards?

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:47 pm

Motorists presumably put hazard lights on to signal that they are making an unusual/temporary stop as opposed to parking illegally and then abandoning their vehicles for several hours ..

Disabled badge holders allowed to park for a while on double yellow lines? That statement is purely an invention.

There are actually THREE cars in the photos, not two. And why ask if the cars were displaying badges when the photos show perfectly clearly that they were not? Or was that intended as a bit of irony?!

There are several things which happen in Hastings which really let the town down, the beggars and alcoholics everywhere of course, the litter all over the main streets but also the completely uncontrolled pavement parking. If Amber Rudd HAD to live near London Road, St Leonards and needed to pop into the Co-op on a Saturday night, I wonder if she would put up with it for five minutes?! When I went up the North Kent coast in June to places like Deal and Whitstable (admittedly somewhat wealthier than Hastings), the streets were immaculate and well-ordered and the whole atmosphere was really nice. Gave me a lot of food for thought on my return to scruffy St Leonards ..

Richard

Postby Richard » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:44 pm

I agree that the cars parked up in restricted areas may indeed cause a potential obstruction which could be acted upon if repeat occurrences affect the smooth flow of traffic or public access or danger.
The white car in the post by 'congerman' clearly has lights illuminated to signal that it may be making an unusual or temporary stop, as opposed to parking illegally for hours on end.
If you are seriously concerned then report any violations to the police immediately and they will often as not take a sensible view and act accordingly.

Return to “Locals have your say”