what i think of my home town!!

From bins to boy racers, have your say on whatever makes your blood boil
peter_lawson

Re: what i think of my home town!!

Postby peter_lawson » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:58 pm

Sorry you feel this way but I can understand where your coming from,as to people ignoring you and being unfriendly my Mother once told me that 'you can always stoop and pick up nothing' don't worry they will need you before you need them

debilee

Postby debilee » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:47 pm

Hi everyone, despite all the negative comments, people like myself are still planning to move to the area. Having spent the past 18 years in Wales, and the last year in Winchester, (im from South East London) i feel like "a fish out of water" and i need to find home. I cant wait to be around my "own people" and am planning to move next month. (not sure Hastings or St Leonards) any advice? I felt safe in Wales, and often went for walks with my dog after dark, but the drug scene has just taken over, this is what i want to escape. Winchester is not for me, i came here to be close to my mum, but things havnt worked out. I have fond memories of Hastings and often visited as a child, but that was in the 70's/80's and i havnt been back for years. I understand every town has its problems, but to be honest id rather live somewhere thats alive, than where iv been for the past 19 years! By all accounts Hastings hasnt lost its charm and is up and coming. I will be living alone, just me and my dog, i wont know a soul in the area, but im willing to take that chance! It cant be worst than Winchester!!

st_leonards_duffer

Postby st_leonards_duffer » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:12 am

Hi, I moved down to st leonards from london 2 years ago and touch wood it is going well. I see why people do complain about the town but in fact most of the things that people are complaining about are found in practically every town and city in the UK today: even quite remote rural areas find themselves with drug problems, anti-social behaviour etc.

Clearly things can always be better but when i think of the conditions in london i count myself lucky to be here. The local people are welcoming and friendly with lots of interesting things going on. For someone with a family like myself it is also an affordable option. A high speed rail link would make a massive difference to the town's prosperity, although i wouldn't bet on that happening any time soon.

Viva st leonards!

MumToHolAndHen

Postby MumToHolAndHen » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:57 pm

I think Hastings rocks.
This may sound sad but for a pauper of a student who cant afford grand vacations me and the kids love coming to see my mate in Hastings and have never had a scrap of trouble from anyone.
We love it- and im coming down alone in August some time to get totally wasted for a few days! :laugh:

gaz

Postby gaz » Sun May 11, 2008 11:56 am

I moved here just over a year ago now and love it, sure there are some ignorrant people here but thats their problem not mine. A lot of people migrate from London, where in a lot of areas you dont make eye contact for fear of confrontation or that you might be looked at as a target by yobs, it can take some years or maybe never for some people to realise they can relax a bit more. I dont look back because it is a pointless exercise, I look at the here and now and right now I am having the time of my life. If people are not friendly that does not bother me, if there is hostility then I move forward. I think Hastings has all the excitement of London with much less of its negatives, i've still got a lot of life in me so i'm not ready for a sleepy seaside town yet.
If it does'nt work out for you here then I guess you have to do whatever gives you peace of mind, but I will say, it takes friendly people like us to help make changes.

Best regards 8)

jane

Postby jane » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:34 pm

[quoted]
[b]georgi wrote:[
hello
i see you used to live on wellington road! my husband and i are considering buying a house on this road, in your opinion is this still a nice safe quiet road. i know parking is a problem other than that would you give it the thumbs up??? thank you jane/b]

i lived in st lenoards untill i was 2 i then moved to hastings wellington road on the west hill untill i was 13 i am now living in bexhill so not to far away i travel to hastings on the train most weekends to see friends or do a bit of shopping. what i dont understand is why are little town of hastings gets knocked?? its lovly i was brought up in this town and have never had a problem.
for parents who want to send there kids to schol in the area i would strongly recomend st marys star of the sea in st lenoards and for secondary schols st richards in bexhill is for sure the best pick up any paper and you will see the results are top in the area there is free transport avaliable to people who live over two miles away, there is no problem with bullying the community is close and safe so no doubt there :) :w00t:
[/quoted]

:S :S :S :S

lynne

Postby lynne » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:39 pm

I may not be a local but I have been coming to Hastings since the mid 1950's. when my grandparents lived in St. Leonards road. I now bring my family including grandchildren who love it as much as me. Sometimes on a cloudy day it looks a bit jaded but hey the sea breeze certainly blows my cobwebs away and rejuvinates me. A trip to fishermans end is always my first port of call and a chat to the salty fishrmen or folk from the area always brightens my day. A trip around the old town often throws up something new.I would love to be able to afford to live there but have to settle for caravan breaks instead. So to all who live there I say "you lucky so and so's" you are blessed.
lynne :)

aussiegemma

Postby aussiegemma » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:08 am

[quoted]
georgi wrote:
i lived in st lenoards untill i was 2 i then moved to hastings wellington road on the west hill untill i was 13 i am now living in bexhill so not to far away i travel to hastings on the train most weekends to see friends or do a bit of shopping. what i dont understand is why are little town of hastings gets knocked?? its lovly i was brought up in this town and have never had a problem.
for parents who want to send there kids to schol in the area i would strongly recomend st marys star of the sea in st lenoards and for secondary schols st richards in bexhill is for sure the best pick up any paper and you will see the results are top in the area there is free transport avaliable to people who live over two miles away, there is no problem with bullying the community is close and safe so no doubt there :) :w00t:
[/quoted]
I hope its a nice spot as i am moving all the way from australia to there next year!

vickielloyd5_hotmail_com

Postby vickielloyd5_hotmail_com » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:18 am

Having been ' born and bred ' in Hastings ,many moons ago i might add ! i moved away in 1972 ,im not sorry ,BUT ,me and the whole family return every year ,without fail for our annual holiday,we wouldn't go anywhere else !! even the ones who weren't born there love it !! its what you make it ,i think and maybe ,one day i will return ,what im saying is ,'' don't knock it untill you have lived somewhere else '' !! make sense ?

Anonymous1

Postby Anonymous1 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:53 am

I've just read a report in the Observer "Hastings the New Hanoi"

I was keen to read the BA Magazine article.

http://www.bahighlife.com/Destinations/ ... earth.html

Hastings is mentioned on page 2_ _ __ _ _..apparently it's "Authentic" but we all knew that didn't we :)

Return to “Locals have your say”