jerwood mistake? or create?

From bins to boy racers, have your say on whatever makes your blood boil
Insomniac

Re: jerwood mistake? or create?

Postby Insomniac » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:32 pm

I see I have been proved wrong then! Still GBP2 though!

Maybe I'm being too pessimistic? But I can't see the majority of Hastings residents being that interested? The only positive I can think of, is the potential extra customers to shops/cafes in the Old Town.

www.twitter.com/afroleon

Richard

Postby Richard » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:04 pm

_ _ _get Brian Sewell along he'll quickly whip up some vitriol to dissolve the walls_ _ _

I don't like Art when it becomes pretentious or "Emperor's New Clothes" or the conceptual stuff like that rectangle of bricks on the floor at the Tate, that makes me feel ill and cheated.
Ofcourse they get away with it by defying anyone to define Art - therefore in the absence "anything goes"

As for a limp statement by the Artist of dubious quality such as:
"My Artwork is created from an exploration into my psychic depths
I open myself as a vehicle through which energies and visions can flow into imagery"

Some of it is even worse and makes one wonder on which planet the dear deluded creature has been drawn from.

:o

hanpet

Postby hanpet » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:29 pm

I am interested in art and do dabble myself but Hastings was what it was a working class slightly backwards seaside town, and i don't mean that in a derogatory sense as i myself was born here.
We should of stayed as we were, as with art when you keep messing around with a project it becomes ruined!!!! :(

hanpet

Postby hanpet » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:59 pm

oh and the clue is in the title OLD Town_ _ __ _ _..enough said!

:erm:

hanpet

Postby hanpet » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:01 pm

[quoted]
Richard wrote:

_ _ _the best ''pictures' inside the Jerwood_ _ _.
are seen looking looking through the windows to views of Hastings !!

8)
[/quoted]

:w00t:

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:37 pm

Clearly the working-class day-trippers have stopped tripping along to Hastings in sufficient numbers to be of much use to the local economy, this despite it's numerous attractions.
Money is very limited or non-existent at that end of the social spectrum

Now the Jerwood is an attempt to bring in money from wealthier visitors who may be doing a round-trip via London/Brighton or similar.

Having once discussed that "Priory Meadow" (another 'bone of contention' to the locals) wasn't big enough, in terms of 'up-market' stores, to draw in the shoppers from Brighton, and other affluent towns, etcetera, we can only assume the Jerwood is an attempt by the Council to make ammends.

The Jerwood would be a landmark attraction in Hastings but perhaps there is a need to link it to a couple of other galleries or "playgrounds" for the wealthier visitor to make it worth while their spending a few days taking in the scenic delights and spending money locally?
8)

Mymblesdaughter

Postby Mymblesdaughter » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:51 pm

If anyone is interested I noticed that the Jerwood is now open free to locals on the 1st Tuesday of the month from 4 till 8.

I think they are hoping people will go to Margate - Turner then come to Hastings - Jerwood, Bexhill - De La Warr and then onto Eastbourne to the Towner. Whether they will is another matter.

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:31 pm

I don't think the locals give a damn about the Jerwood Art in particular
But I do think they remain opposed something that is blocking the place where coaches used to bring in the OAP's who would be happy to visit the Old Town and chat and frequent the local cafe's and shops.

As for the more affluent classes, they have a different agenda and whilst they may shell out to see the Art on show it remains to be seen whether they will do anything other than fill the coffers of the Jerwood Foundation, which is very much a financial enterprise in its own right.
8)

nigelt

Postby nigelt » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:24 am

[quoted]
Richard wrote:

_ _ _the best ''pictures' inside the Jerwood_ _ _.
are seen looking looking through the windows to views of Hastings !!

8)
[/quoted]

I wouldnt be surprised if some "artist" put a frame around a window _ _ _ voila.. real life picture art !

Mymblesdaughter

Postby Mymblesdaughter » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:10 pm

Wouldn't it be true to say that some locals are interested in the Jerwood art and some aren't? I'm a local and I'm interested in it.

The affluent classes will be happy to visit the Old Town and frequent the local cafe's and they will spend more money than the OAP's. There's nothing to stop the OAPs visiting as well there are still two large car parks very close to the old town.

Return to “Locals have your say”