Town centre traffic

From bins to boy racers, have your say on whatever makes your blood boil
nosferatu

Town centre traffic

Postby nosferatu » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:42 pm

Does anybody else feel that the traffic in and around the town centre needs to be slowed down? We're supposed to have a 20mph limit on the lower end of Queens Road, but you'd never believe it. As a pedestrian, I feel like a skittle in a bowling alley with cars coming at me seemingly from all directions. There's always a mad dash by drivers to beat the lights and no quarter given once they've changed from red. If you're on the crossing when red changes to amber, you have to dash the rest of the way to avoid the cars which have started as soon as amber shows. Am I alone here?

roy

Re: Town centre traffic

Postby roy » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:11 pm

Just wait till the tourist season gets well under way,wacky races all over again.

Enjoy life.you never know when it will end.

sammylan

Postby sammylan » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:07 pm

I personally find that walking through the pedestrian area of the town centre is a great money saver. The constant leaping out of the way of speeding bikes, scooters and skate boards provides great exercise and is far cheaper than going to the gym. Anyway, with ref to the original question - bikes go through red lights all the time so why not cars as well.

nosferatu

Postby nosferatu » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:09 pm

Cyclists appear to be able to do what they like on the roads_ _ _.and pavements. Does anybody know if any cyclists in this area have been prosecuted for riding on the pavement, for running a red light or indeed any traffic offence? I feel a Freedom of Information request to the police coming on.

Insomniac

Postby Insomniac » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:35 pm

I always feel cautious driving through the town centre due to pedestrians crossing, buses/taxis pulling out etc_ _ _

When I'm walking through town and the lights go amber when I'm still crossing, the can bloody wait the extra 5 seconds! ;)

www.twitter.com/afroleon

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:22 pm

I've been subject to verbal abuse twice by cyclist near the top of Queens Road - because I was in their way on the pavement as they came speeding along !!

They don't seem to have been told the pavement is not for their use
I don't mind if they have some manners and apologise but they seem sure they have some sort of priority
hmmmm!!!! 8|

Return to “Locals have your say”