From bins to boy racers, have your say on whatever makes your blood boil
looking_u

Re: Enterprise Centre yard alongside Morrison's

Postby looking_u » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:07 am

[quoted]
Richard wrote:
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/35981
[/quoted]

Just tried to do e-petitions but would not register, tried twice still saying 188 people have signed and cannot get confirmation of singing

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:00 pm

it's saying 190 have signed now so perhaps a browser issue ?

I use Explorer as well as Mozilla (or Fireball as my mother calls it !!)

keep trying_ _ _

Britannia

Postby Britannia » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:17 pm

Hi everybody.

I am Lucy, Henry's daughter; I help him with the day to day running of the Yard.

I have attached Henry/Britannia's potted history to this post, if you get a moment please read it as they will get you totally up to date with the issues we have. This is the document I have sent to Amber Rudd, Nick Perry, Sarah Owen and any press that has been interested.

In short, we failed to do ten repairs out of a list of hundreds (mainly major) repairs, the council said there were therefore evicting us on the basis that the premises was in a state of disrepair. They then gave us another list outlining of one hundred and fiftyish mainly minor repairs that needed to be carried out so that the premises would no longer be in a state of disrepair so the council would no longer have any grounds for not granting us a new lease.

However on the list were some ridiculous and unreasonable demands, such as removing all the tenants fixtures and fittings and their signage, we were also told to remove Hastings and Bexhill Wood Recycling Projects temporary structures (that the council gave them a grant to erect!) essentially destroying their shop and the bulk of the storage/manufacturing area. We then asked the council for a meeting to clarify these issues we had which the declined to have as we had solicitors involves by this point (on the councils advice). The tenants decided this was bonkers so started a Facebook page (www.facebook.com.britanniaenterprisecentre) and started the ball rolling with the publicity. All the public pressure (TV, radio and the Hastings Observer) caused the council to ask us to come to a meeting to sort everything out (which is what we wanted to do in the first place). The meeting is on Thursday and we hope to get all the contentious issues sorted, be able to sort the lease out and stop spending money on solicitors and surveyors.

I hope this clears stuff up.

Please check out the Facebook page, you will see we have the support of our tenants as well as local politicians and the general public.

As a side note. Over time units have been sub divided as we have had a great demand for smaller units, the only way to fulfil this was to sub divide large units. This is actually a costly and hassle filled process which I would rather avoid if possible.

If anybody has any questions, opinions or concerns about Britannia please dont hesitiate to email me at Britanniaenterprise@hotmail.com

[Attachment: Potted_history.doc (37.56kb)]

Britannia

Postby Britannia » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:20 pm

And for clarification, we currently have no planned rent increases.

Please would you expand on which payments Henry is being difficult about making?

Thank you,
Lucy.

Richard

Postby Richard » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:23 pm

Hello Lucy,
Thanks for your informative reply which helps to clear up misunderstandings and presumptions.
I understand a 'repairing lease' can be difficult when you have to do all manner of repairs to the satisfaction of a landlord as well as to allow for alterations and repairs to the structure caused by numerous different tenants.
I qouted that Henry was difficult about payments but meant someone who was making payments to Henry and not the other way round.

Anyway - long may 'Britannia' continue - I hope more people become aware of it and find out about the Wrought Iron, the Wood Working, the Blacksmiths, Computers, Wood recycling ,etcetera.
'Britannia' does not have a High Street visibility/presence and takes some time to find out exactly what the individual units can do or have done for previous customers.

Return to “Locals have your say”