Where are all these jobs ?

From bins to boy racers, have your say on whatever makes your blood boil
Richard

Where are all these jobs ?

Postby Richard » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:41 pm

I'd like to know where the jobs are at this time of unprecedented sever and bitter depression whilst the gov't are ever tightening up on people in receipt of DSS Social Security payments.
Claimants will soon have to prove each and every day that they are looking for work and showing how many interviews they are getting and applications sent, with threats of worse to come, such as American-style "Sanctions" for any shortfalls or misunderstanding of instructions.
Sanctions mean punishments such as deprivation of "Allowance" for anything from 3 weeks to 6 months.
How can this be helpful ?
Over two years out of work means being forced onto a "placement" for 2 years with a gov't approved body who are charged with helping people to find a job and yet these bodies are found to be woefully inadequate according to statistics and can be comprised of staff with less experience of work or education than those they are supposed to be helping.

It's like criminalising drug addicts and "helping" those who turn up for help with people who don't know what drugs are like or just want to tell you off for not trying hard enough.

I think the only answer is to provide training for jobs that are in high demand (coupled with creating extra jobs) but instead of this we meet the situation described above which is clearly a waste of everyones time and money_ _ _

Derek Jempson

Re: Where are all these jobs ?

Postby Derek Jempson » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:19 am

Couldn't agree more Richard. I'm retired now, but had a long period of unemployment towards the end of my working life. The underlying attitude at Jobcentres is that all claimants are skiving, workshy layabouts. Of course, no one would ever admit to that - they are "helping" people to find work, but you can easily sense what they really think.

I feel especially for the growing army of youngsters who have never had a job. What kind of future can they look forward to?

Anonymous1

Postby Anonymous1 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:49 am

In my experience most folk do care about the work they do when they first start a job. Health workers, police, teachers and Jobcentre. workers_ _ __ _ __ _ _Unfortunately due to underfunding and performance box ticking these folk no longer have the emotional resources to "care", many are burned out. One of the first things to happen is that the support side of supervision from managers disappears, workers get so stressed that they no longer have the desire or ability to care about others_ _ _..If these workers allow themselves to care they will blow a fuse, as indeed many do.

This of course has the knock on effect which you describe. The young unemployed believe no one cares.

From a philosophical point of view the whole system is broken. I'm an atheist but I do except there are some fundamentally correct principles in the bible_ _ _.The human race (at least those in the west) are worshipping a false idol made of gold. Any system that society adopts MUST BE for the benefit of that society, it can be no other way. The first principle MUST BE about the value of humanity_ _ _..how the f*** can a system created by humans and for humans work if the first principle is money.

Money is important and should be considered but it shouldn't be the first principle.

_ _ __ _ _.Caring about others is crucially important but who can afford to care these days? :cry:

roy

Postby roy » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:25 am

Too many are quite able to work but choose to sponge off the rest of us,sorry but its well overdue to root out the lazy and feckless.

Enjoy life.you never know when it will end.

Richard

Postby Richard » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:56 am

Economic success is almost always always measured by employment figures.
If a system is failing then it will make cuts that affect the weakest links in place and this means that those unable to defend themselves will fall victim to these pressures and the result is that problems will be shifted to other places, by default unemployment will rise making even greater divides between "the haves" and "the have nots".
Having said that the system of free health care and education in Britain, as well as its tolerance of religion, sexuality and a haven for refugees, is probably better than many other countries in the world.
Bearing in mind also that certain Scandinavian countries have a different philosophy of wealth distribution and support for those out of work.

But we are failing as a fairly wealthy country, in the scheme of things, and clearly not providing anywhere like enough jobs or accomodation to see us through to future fairness and equality whilst relying on the private sector to pull us out of the doldrums.
Do we really want to see the private sector running everything and where will this lead?

Mymblesdaughter

Postby Mymblesdaughter » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:23 pm

Roy, I think you've been reading the Daily Mail. Most people who are claiming benefits are actually working but not being paid enough to live on. All the people I know that have claimed benefit are desperate to find work. I had to sign on in the 80's and it was a horrible degrading experience. There are a few people who view it as a lifestyle choice but they are a very small minority. This government tries to blame the unemployed for there being no jobs and tries to turn the poor against the very poor. The 3 generations of no work families that Duncan Smith goes on about don't actually exist. Journalists and charities have tried to find them and couldn't.

Richard

Postby Richard » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:28 am

The vast majority are perfectly genuinely able and willing but unable to find work for various reasons, some may have been made redundant and others may be unemployed just for a short time.
Employers always have their own agenda anyway in deciding whom to employ, even more so when they have large numbers of applicants "queuing up outside their doors"
In my experience 'Jobcentres' don't actually help with finding work except by threats of withdrawal of benefits on the basis that you are not performing your job search properly, if you remain out of work for a longer period. This is really not helpful at all.

Whilst I find it a good and healthy sign for the tax-payer that people out of work are being scrutinised very thoroughly by the Social Security departments I don't believe the best way to tackle unemployment is by hounding people in the way Duncan Smith seems to think appropriate.
As for sponging off the rest of us (according to Roy) there are many hidden forms of "sponging" that damage the economy massively and which go on hidden behind the smokescreen of public headlines about scroungers who bleed the system.
It is a "Witch Hunt" that the public respond to with a typical knee-jerk reaction.

[quoted]
roy wrote:
Too many are quite able to work but choose to sponge off the rest of us,sorry but its well overdue to root out the lazy and feckless.

[/quoted]

Gerry Glyde

Postby Gerry Glyde » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:23 pm

The government rrun and re-run their hyperbole about the scroungers and attempt to pitch the low paid against the even more poor. There are existing regulations that allow the DWP to stop a person's benefit that is the "actively seeking work test" and for claimant's that are sick there is the relatively new test that means virtually anyone who can walk is considered fit. Fairly recently a former soldier who had serious leg injuries from Afghanistan was found fit for work as he could manage about 10 yards to the ATOS test centre. Two or three pople with serious heart problems were found fit and colapsed and died within weeks. I have worked as a representative at benefit Tribunals and know how much detail they go into.

The government told us that they needed to get Captia and G4S in and they would get people back to work. Those companies have only reached about a third of their targets and have now asked for more money to get the long term unemployed back to work. Ther are very few unskilled manual jobs that a large percentage of people used to be able to do such as ship and steel labourers, miners, building labourers. Physically and mentally disabled peope are even worse off as employers are less likely to employ someone who may be off sick regularly as against someone who is fit. Here in the NE we have the highest unemployment in the UK and often employers report that they have too many applicants for jobs to reply to them all. the jobs that exist are often part time and increasingly on Nil hours contracts with no guanteed wage so the employee has to be available when required and told to go home when that bit of work is done..

The government has just announced that it is going to target a further 400,000 "troubled families" whatever that means because as mymblesdaughter has said they can only come up with a few hundred who have multiple generations of unemployed and or other difficulties,WE have the governments Louise Casey to blame for a lot of the rhetoric. They are probably confusing those families some of whose members are criminals. That is a different issue. .

Anonymous1

Postby Anonymous1 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:40 pm

The last 2 threads on this "Locals have your say" page have been of a political nature. The UKIP thread being more so than this one.

Our (on this board) Political differences aside, I am always amazed at how two supposedly rational groups of individuals with expensive educations can arrive at two completely different solutions to societies troubles. What's more, both parties are convinced they are right, convinced to the point of belligerent argument, (not that that's happened on this forum)_ _ __ _ _Some folk are even prepared to go to war and kill those of a different political persuasion.

It's bloody bizarre_ _ _..I've pondered this for many years.

I have reached some conclusions though: There is more to it than reason/rationality, it's not about the facts, information, education, IQ or circumstances_ _ __ _ _It's almost as if the brains of the opposing parties are wired differently, pre-determined political beliefs that cannot be altered by any amount of reason or education.

Having said that, I drink with folk with completely different political ideals, I wouldn't dream of falling out with them because there's absolutely no point. They would still believe, as would I and we would have no influence on each other and nothing achieved. I still hope that I can persuade folk to be less homophobic, racist, sexist or religious with a gentle rebuke or a joke and a drink_ _ __ _ _..am I flogging a dead horse?

Just a thought.

Richard

Postby Richard » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:37 pm

My parents always said not to talk about politics or religion if you wanted to keep your friends.
Acquaintances in a pub may be a different matter, over a drink, where we can afford not to take things too seriously.
Now we see that there are stereotypes for politics and religion as well as race and sexuality.
How we choose to form an alliance with a stereotype may be interesting and can be shown to be changed by debate - hence the usefulness of communication along broadly friendly lines as outlined.
I could argue either way on race or sexuality or politics but probably not with the older generation who are often of a fixed opinion.

Return to “Locals have your say”