His Church, Robertson Street

From bins to boy racers, have your say on whatever makes your blood boil
nannygee

His Church, Robertson Street

Postby nannygee » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:01 pm

I went to the sunday service at the old united reform church now called his church it was a lovely informal service and the minister chris sears was very welcoming also I saw 3 homeless men come into pray very quite and polite one was a musician who after the service asked if he could play the grand piano which chris agreed I waited back to see and hear and the man played a lovely song and sang he was so good I could have listened to him all day also another one played an acordian and read a poem he had written they both knew about church and knew chris and that was a big step towards homeless people they are very lonely people and would go to church but feel they are not dressed as well to mix some of these people had very good jobs before something happened to make them turn to drink or drugs there for the grace of god go i

Olly

Re: His Church, Robertson Street

Postby Olly » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:13 pm

Say one for me next time you go nanny!
:S

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:25 pm

Most homeless people have a compelling story to tell of how they got to where they are in life. Always worth an ask if you can spare the time.

I usually give to those on the street asking for money too, but go into the nearest shop and buy them some food instead of giving cash. At least that way you know your money has been spent on something worthwhile. You'd be surprised how grateful the homeless are for just a bag of crisps and an apple.

Olly

Postby Olly » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:53 am

Geoff wrote:
Most homeless people have a compelling story to tell of how they got to where they are in life. Always worth an ask if you can spare the time.

I usually give to those on the street asking for money too, but go into the nearest shop and buy them some food instead of giving cash. At least that way you know your money has been spent on something worthwhile. You'd be surprised how grateful the homeless are for just a bag of crisps and an apple.

In this society of benefits there's no need for anyone to be too skint to buy food unless they're spending their benefits on other things. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if many of them have more disposable income than a family man working on the minimum wage.

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:06 am

I have seen people giving food instead which seems a better idea than money - I get pestered for money by the neighbour on a regular basis and once you give then it is hard to say no.

Many on the streets cannot get benefits if they are homeless and seem to be forced to live it rough and battle on in the face of terrible hardship and I believe some church people will try to find them a place of shelter if they possibly can.

Anonymous1

Postby Anonymous1 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:40 am

Richard wrote:
I have seen people giving food instead which seems a better idea than money - I get pestered for money by the neighbour on a regular basis and once you give then it is hard to say no.

Many on the streets cannot get benefits if they are homeless and seem to be forced to live it rough and battle on in the face of terrible hardship and I believe some church people will try to find them a place of shelter if they possibly can.

Very true.

I went to school with one of the local down and outs, I knew what his background was as a kid. Our year master thought he could beat the lads life back into shape, you know, regular thrashings with a cane and all that stuff. As if the kid didn't have enough self loathing and anger, it was like watching someone pour petrol on a fire.

A life started in misery that will no doubt end in a misery of mental health problems and alcoholism. A bloke so far down a hole that there's probably no way for him to climb out without help. still worthy of respect and assistance though.

as a footnote: Many years later the above mentioned teacher topped himself, he'd had a bit of a nervous breakdown.. He found himself in his own hole and was unable to climb out.

Olly

Postby Olly » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:35 pm

Richard wrote:

If they can't get benefits - inc. housing benefit - then there must be a good reason; if there isn't one then they should seek support from the MP because they are definitely entitled to social assistance.

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:18 pm

Housing benefits and income support are not the same thing.
If people are in need of housing and vulnerable then there are organisations who will help to find emergency shelter but these shelters will not accept people who turn up unannounced and only help referrals from the recognised organisations.
Often there may be a religious 'overtone' in the emergency shelter which many homeless people may not wish to subscribe to.

Some form of temporary (or permanent home) is needed for proof of address before income support can be dispensed.
Certain people fall off the radar before they can seek assistance and get back into the system - for a multitude of reasons.

That's as far as I u/s it and no doubt Gerry or G.K. will supply my shortfall.

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:31 pm

Olly wrote:

If they can't get benefits - inc. housing benefit - then there must be a good reason; if there isn't one then they should seek support from the MP because they are definitely entitled to social assistance.

I used to think exactly the same as Olly on this, up until a couple of years ago when I met a girl who's father had been homeless. At this point I had to at least appear understanding so decided to find out more.

It is possible to fall off the radar. You need an address to get benefits, and you need benefits to get an address.

Honestly Olly, stop and talk to a real homeless person (not just a street drinker) and ask them their story.

Olly

Postby Olly » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:59 am

Geoff and Richard - I refuse to believe that anyone in this country would be allowed to become so destitute that they'd have no option than to starve to death. If Geoff will give me the name of someone who's in that predicament not only will I 'ask them their story' but I'll be hot-foot to the local MP to petition on that person's behalf.

Return to “Locals have your say”