Hastings Student Village

From bins to boy racers, have your say on whatever makes your blood boil
Geoff
Site Admin

Hastings Student Village

Postby Geoff » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:38 pm

Plans for a seven storey residential block to house more than 200 students have been submitted by the University of Brighton. The £10 million student village is planned for a derelict site next to the main railway line. What are locals opinions on the idea?

university-student-village.jpg

Richard

Re: Hastings Student Village

Postby Richard » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:45 pm

First impressions are the building itslef looks soulless and out of keeping with Hastings
It looks like a block of flats which would have been modern and progressive in the 50's or 60's but surely not now.
I take it that this is effectively a 'Hall of Residence' for students.

The location is another question - is it to be situated behind Devonshire Terrace ?
What are the current accomodation facilities for students and why has there been so much expansion of college buildings recently over several completely new as well as existing sites in Hastings?
I assume it is because Hastings is to become a new 'University town' connected with Brighton and this will encourage more investment and regeneration.

So it seems good in the scheme of things but please pay attention to building-design as a top priority.
(not that this seems to matter much, depending upon the location)

Insomniac

Re: Hastings Student Village

Postby Insomniac » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:29 pm

You only have to drive past the Brighton Uni buildings in Moulsecoomb to see that the UoB don't exactly have a history of erecting buildings sympathetic to it's surroundings.

The Uni currently have a hall of residence in Warrior Square, Robert Tressell House I think it's called. But with the opening of the second building and seemingly ever expansion of the college/university I guess there's now a need for more student accomodation in Hastings, which surely can only mean good things for the local economy?

Return to “Locals have your say”