Hastings and dogs of bygone days

From bins to boy racers, have your say on whatever makes your blood boil
Richard

Hastings and dogs of bygone days

Postby Richard » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:15 am

June 8, 1866- Hastings Chronicle:
Dogs were made the subject of police surveillance. Dogs without collars were to be taken and destroyed if not claimed within 24 hours. They were a big nuisance in the St Andrews Pleasure Gardens [Alexandra Park].

May 2, 1903 - Mail newspaper:
Great Dog Show
The Hastings dog show on 29 April was a great success, with 500 dogs in the Central Cricket Ground.

from Hastings a newspaper dated April 1908:
letter to the editor on overcrowded tramcars:
"The cars are filled up with strap-hangers and dogs so that even the hard-working conductors have difficulty in moving about to take the fares. The cars are now permitted to hold 30 inside and 20 dogs when they were only intended for 20 people and no dogs."

It seems that Hastings was once a haven for dogs like nothing we've seen today.

OllyMkII

Re: Hastings and dogs of bygone days

Postby OllyMkII » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:54 am

Plus ça change. It's no exaggeration for me to say that almost everyone I see in the great outdoors has at least one dog. I like dogs but don't understand this obsession with them.

cbe

Postby cbe » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:22 pm

I must admit that I am a dog lover, though we never replaced our boxer when he died several years ago, but we have just returned from two weeks in the old town and we were amazed at the sheer number of people walking dogs. We were also surprised at how many people were walking two dogs ! (Mr cbe)

Richard

Postby Richard » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:55 pm

Much better to have at least two dogs as they easily form very deep relationships in their own doggy company and are probably much 'happier' and healthier for it.
Dogs are basically very simple, compared to people, have extremely basic needs and will 'love' you as you can easily fulfill them, also they are non-judgmental and don't take offence easily.
Many people find dogs to be easier to handle than coping with human relationships:
for instance:
Lock your wife and your dog in the Cellar for an hour, come back and open the door, guess which one is happy to see you.

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:20 pm

Richard wrote:Lock your wife and your dog in the Cellar for an hour, come back and open the door, guess which one is happy to see you.

Love it :) same applies to cats of course!

Return to “Locals have your say”