Where do the local Fishermen sell their catch?

From bins to boy racers, have your say on whatever makes your blood boil
tonyM

Where do the local Fishermen sell their catch?

Postby tonyM » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:15 pm

I recently moved to Hastings. So please forgive my lack of knowledge on the area. Quoting wikepedia, Hastings " has the largest beach-based fishing fleet in England." So I assume a lot of fish is being caught and sold either locally or to bigger traders.

Is there a fish market or trading area of that sort? I was told by some friends that there are some stalls in the beach side (early morning). May be it was the day I went down, I could find only one shop open (near the stade, I waited around from 5-7 am). To be honest, I was expecting something comparable to Billingsgate market in London. Are there any other place where fish are sold withing Hastings (I am not a fish trader, just after some enough for a household :) )?

Richard

Re: Where do the local Fishermen sell their catch?

Postby Richard » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:47 pm

Hi tonyM,

There are a few "Stalls/Kiosks (whatever they are correctly called)
some on the net-hut side and some opposite.
I don't know when they open but they will tell you if you ask them.
No ! there is not much compared to the glory days when Herring catches were a seasonal event of some great importance and magnitude.

There is a kiosk serving prepared tid-bits also and on Saturdays and 'Event days' there are often a couple called "Pat & Tush" who sell dabs fried in olive oil, lovingly served in a bun/bap.

Expat-in-Spain

Postby Expat-in-Spain » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:45 pm

If you "Google" "Hastings fishmarket" you will find much of interest, in particular you will find the link ( http://www.hastingsfish.co.uk/fishmarket.htm ) to the website for the market! You will need to get up very early in the morning to catch the auction. I remember that back in the late 1970s or 80s the Nelson Pub obtain a variation on their licence to open early for the fish traders! Actually tea was the most popular beverage in the early hours.
Tom

Gerry Glyde

Postby Gerry Glyde » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:36 am

I have bought fish from several stalls that are open until at least mid afternoon. So you can get up early to watch the burying and selling for retail and then buy some for yourself later if you want. Try the huss, also known as rock salmon that I usually get on my visits south.

tonyM

Postby tonyM » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:19 am

Thank you for the posts. When I used to go Billingsgate market, I remember, I had to be there early before 5am to get some good fish (especially the sardines which I love). So last time I went down the stalls in Hastings, it was about that sort of the time. A lady told me I was too early! I didn't know there was an actual market as suggested by Tom.
I will try again :).

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:17 am

As far as I know, historically speaking, fish were originally landed on the beach, and traded in situ, with some activity also occurring on the adjacent streets, on the ground and via hand carts, etcetera.
From at least the early 1800's herring and mackerel were sent to London markets (Billingsgate) by horse drawn vehicles, as they were the more valuable items.
In 1833 the council built a fishmarket in George street, next to the Anchor Inn, trying to force all fish selling away from stalls around the bottom of High Street and in the open air on the beach, where a disorderly group typically congregated.
Because of high tolls on this new fishmarket many fishermen violently revolted and the council were forced to restore the original open air sites.
By 1870 an octagonal building (retail and minor wholesale fishmarket) was erected at the bottom of the High Street, presumably with lower tolls, which largely removed the beach and street floor/barrow trading activities as a centre of concentrated action.
The major part of the wholesaleing, however, continued on the open beach.

At around the same time 'wash-houses' were built in 1865 at Bourne Street, opposite the 'Lord Nelson' pub, to accomodate women of the old town who washed the clothes of people staying at boarding houses and hotels, the same clothes were dried on lines strung out on the beach between fishing boats.
The fishmarket building was demolished in 1928 but clothes were still dried on the beach areas until the second world war.

The current fishmarket, built in 1993, clearly has a place in history, but where wholesale and retail trading in fish occurred between 1928 and 1993 is unknown to me.

Return to “Locals have your say”