Eastbourne Pier on fire

From bins to boy racers, have your say on whatever makes your blood boil
Richard

Re: Eastbourne Pier on fire

Postby Richard » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:36 pm

Likewise, superstructure permitting, I'm sure you couldn't possibly drive a fire tender along Brighton Pier - look at all the buildings in the way of access!!

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:47 pm

It's a hard lesson to learn, no access for fire vehicles and constructed mainly of wood = major fire risk. The Victorians weren't to know :(

The new Hastings pier has the chance to correct these flaws. Hopefully access is a part of the design, but as you say, the weight of a fire engine is asking a bit much of the deck.

Gerry Glyde

Postby Gerry Glyde » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:14 am

Just heard news that Central govt has announced a £2 million grant for the pier. That seems unusually quick for a govt decision. Although it seems possible that Mr Pickles likes piers and Eastbourne in particular it may also be due to other factors.

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:49 am

I'm assuming that this pier was insured, unlike hastings. If so why would they need a grant? Very strange!

Gerry Glyde

Postby Gerry Glyde » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:05 pm

I have just found out that Eastbourne has a Lib Dem MP and wonder if tjis might be a little bit of influence to the type of voter who may swing back to the conservatives. I have now remembered that it was a shock for them to lose the seat.

Derek Jempson

Postby Derek Jempson » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:34 pm

Gerry Glyde wrote:I have just found out that Eastbourne has a Lib Dem MP and wonder if tjis might be a little bit of influence to the type of voter who may swing back to the conservatives.

Ooooh - how cynical Gerry - that would never have occurred to me in a month of Sundays!

Richard

Postby Richard » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:48 pm

There is now some suspicion that the fire was started as a deliberate act:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28610853

Gerry Glyde

Postby Gerry Glyde » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:31 pm

I have just read that the Prime Minister and Chancellor visited to see the pier. Is this a little over the top for government interest in a fire ?

Derek Jempson

Postby Derek Jempson » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:18 pm

Yes it is. I was surprised to learn of their visit. At this rate, George and Dave will be popping-up with free Lemsip whenever someone catches a cold!

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:03 pm

I think Eastbourne received prompt attention, with gov't money, owing to the fact that it was a functioning pier at the time of the fire, and Hastings, currently a marginal Tory seat, via Amber Rudd, had been closed for two years.
However, with Ed Miliband, visiting on August 1st, you might expect its 'marginal' status to command more attention from 'the duo' who visited Eastbourne.
Labour's candidate in Hastings is Sarah Owen, with David as shown below:
Attachments
miliband_sarah owen.jpg

Return to “Locals have your say”