New Street Lights in Hastings

From bins to boy racers, have your say on whatever makes your blood boil
Richard

New Street Lights in Hastings

Postby Richard » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:12 pm

We've had these new 'LED' versions since earlier last year along St. Helens Road and I think they are inadequate.
Compared to the previous 'incandescent' lighting the street illumination does not spread so far between lamps.
They provide a stark and sterile cold light which is blue-white and leaves the area in semi-darkness punctuated by 'spotlights',
I think they might be alright if the wattage was increased but they are not an improvement except in terms of using less electricity.

I have installed LED lights in my kitchen and bathroom and they are very bright indeed, there are two varieties, 'cool' or 'warm'.
The 'warm' is the better option for me as it casts a more gentle light.
I find 15Watts to be ideal.

What motorists think of the street lighting I do not yet know but they seem to create dangerous dark patches which may become a 'Mugger's, or thieve's Paradise' in some areas.

Finally, Melatonin is a compound that adjusts our biological clock and is known for its anti-oxidant and anti-cancerous properties. LED bulbs emit light at shorter wavelengths, known to suppress melatonin production.

You won't find me in the Kitchen or Bathroom for too long!!

Derek Jempson

Re: New Street Lights in Hastings

Postby Derek Jempson » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:37 am

The new street lighting IS inadequate for all the reasons that Richard states, but the worst feature of all is the total blackout from the early hours of the morning to about 05:45. I'm sure it is not beyond the inventiveness of those who design such things as street lights to vary the brilliance of the lighting according to the volume of traffic. The higher the volume, the brighter the lighting (up to a maximum level). The minimum level could then be maintained throughout the night perhaps?

Return to “Locals have your say”