Ecclesbourne Glen Controversy

From bins to boy racers, have your say on whatever makes your blood boil
Richard

Ecclesbourne Glen Controversy

Postby Richard » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:11 pm

I hear there is to be a 'protest picnic' on Sunday June 28th 1-4 p.m. at the East Hill.
Not sure I can remember now on what grounds people are protesting at something the Council apparently gave permission for in the first place.

http://hastingsonlinetimes.co.uk/hot-to ... est-picnic

moonjiver

Re: Ecclesbourne Glen Controversy

Postby moonjiver » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:45 am

Your post gave me the biggest laugh I've had for a week. Indeed it's hard to see how a picnic can make massive political waves - now if there was a demo actually outside the town hall to boot the council from behind, urge them to get a move-on with fulfilling their promises ..

There are a few other things like this that go on in Hastings, like the Solidarity march against austerity - bit like a street protest about the rain. It was all mandated at the general election, mate, got to happen anyway or we all go under. Best way is to lump it and get on with it as best we can.

The Soldarity for Palestine thing (gets massive local coverage from certain free newspapers) leaves me even more baffled. Apart from the fact that the other side of the argument is never given a fair voice, what on earth has this got to do with

moonjiver

Postby moonjiver » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:51 am

.. with Hastings, I meant to say! My finger too eager. This campaign is irrelevant to the politics and local issues of Hastings. Reminds me of the loony days when the GLC in London were inviting Libyan leaders over here, at great public expense .. it merely enraged Margaret Thatcher and ensured the demise of the GLC ..

Nightmare

Postby Nightmare » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:44 pm

As far as I understand from things I've read, the building is larger than the one that they received planning permission for and they also removed trees illegally.

moonjiver

Postby moonjiver » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:32 am

As far as I know, there were several departures from the plan agreed by the council, size being one of the issues. But (I think) the protest campaign succeeded also on the grounds that planning permission should never have been given in the first place - what was the council thinking of?! Beautiful area, unspoilt by ugly concrete structures (until now).

The question now is will the council be strong enough to stand up to the developers/owners and make sure that the demolition order is carried through.

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:26 pm

Is this the same property that was under debate before?
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2821#.VYXaaflVhBc

moonjiver

Postby moonjiver » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:10 pm

The same one I think. The problem is now that the building is STILL there, demolition ain't being implemented as per council order!

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:43 pm

Thanks MJ. Can't believe this is still ongoing.
Wouldn't it be lovely if the council just sent the bulldozers in? Job done!

newfie

Postby newfie » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:19 am

The purpose of the picnics is to bring people together at the site so they can see the building and its impact on the park. The group is doing lots of things behind the scenes like attending council meetings and raising the issue of Hastings Council's incompetent planning meeting with central government. It's just a shame the planning department isn't caught out on its numerous other poor planning decisions. There's also the issue of the large land slip which happened after they illegally removed trees - this has blocked the walking path that ran along the country park.

It's good to see groups like the Palestinian one setting up a stall each week. People with courage in their convictions. I happen to think they are on the correct side of the debate. Last year's Gaza war saw Israel punish the civilian population by destroying over 2000 homes (one Israeli home was destroyed). Just this week we have seen an Israeli settler in the West Bank deliberately set fire in the middle of the night to a house killing a 18 month old child. The Hastings Independent accepts contributions from everyone so if you feel that Israel is being poorly represented then research the issue and get your thoughts published!

moonjiver

Postby moonjiver » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:34 pm

What on earth (I could be ruder) has Palestine got to do with Ecclesbourne Glen .. or Hastings for that matter?! I think the person who posted the above has some rather confused thinking going on.

The Hastings Independent is fond of covering two pages with articles about Palestine, which have no relevance to Hastings at all, instead of focusing properly on local news and issues. If people wish to express views about world issues , that is fair enough and free speech operating, but not prominently in a paper that claims to represent Hastings people!

In any case, the Palestine Solidarity movement is grossly one-sided, ignores all the history of that region and the misery inflicted on Israel by various Arab countries and factions who have made no secret of their desire to erase Israel from the map.

I have no allegiance to either side in this sad conflict, it is complex and will take a few more years to resolve when the parties put aside their guns and rockets and try to talk to each other. But the process is not helped by biased pressure groups who oversimplify and misrepresent the situation, portraying the Israelis as somehow being the aggressors, when they have in fact been fighting for their very existence from the first moment in 1948. Just read the history books ..

Return to “Locals have your say”