Nature Table

From bins to boy racers, have your say on whatever makes your blood boil
Richard

Nature Table

Postby Richard » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:40 pm

I am plagued with foxes, they have taken to using my back yard as a permanent toilet and make a lot of mess, they can get under very small gaps in a fence, flattening themselves down, like a rug, to squirm underneath.
I clear up after them but they come back again.

I am told that they can be deterred by soaking old tea-bags in household ammonia and scattering them about (unopened). I will see if that works.

Could be worse though, I hear some people have badgers digging holes everywhere and at 'Three Oaks' some residents have a problem with Wild Boar. :shock:

Geoff
Site Admin

Re: Nature Table

Postby Geoff » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:36 pm

This is going to sound ridiculous, but I am reliably informed that the best way to ward off foxes is by spreading lion's poo.

I guess the threat that there's lions in the neighbourhood is enough to scare off most animals (and humans). It must be a natural instinct in foxes that the smell of a large predator is a very bad sign.

If you have pets though I wouldn't advise this idea as they will also be scared stiff of your garden.

I have heard of wild boar roaming Icklesham as well, so not an isolated problem.

Richard

Postby Richard » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:19 pm

It'll be Deer next, and mark my words, they can jump right over a fence and eat your garden up before you can turn round.
At least Foxes get rid of Vermin, but they stink something rotten, like Old Harry's pants!!

Gerry Glyde

Postby Gerry Glyde » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:27 pm

That is no way to talk about the 3rd in line to the throne.

Off with your head!

moonjiver

Postby moonjiver » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:20 am

Have you tried machine gun nests, barbed wire and lots of searchlights? After all, it does sound as if you are getting a bit desperate ..

Or pepper. Lots of it chucked around. I heard it worked with cats.

Richard

Postby Richard » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:18 am

I think the problem lies with the proximity of a neighbours' chicken coup, foxes are naturally attracted and we get the outfall.
It would be interesting to install a night-vision camera, to see where they get, in but I will try the Ammonia first.

Return to “Locals have your say”