Noise from Restaurant Adjacnet to Residential Block

From bins to boy racers, have your say on whatever makes your blood boil
BB100

Noise from Restaurant Adjacnet to Residential Block

Postby BB100 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:38 pm

I live on the seafront at White Rock and a new Indian restaurant opened just before Christmas. They routinely put out their rubbish and empty bottles way after 11pm, leave the back door to their kitchen and store room open so that their conversation and washing up can be heard as clearly as if I were in the room and then stomp up the rear fire escape after closing, all of which makes going to bed before midnight a complete waste of time. Sadly I do not work in the leisure industry and so I have to rise early to be at my desk for 8.30 am and therefore this is causing incredibly bad relations and not doing much for my good health either. I tried talking to the manager/owner, after that didn't work I started calling the restaurant at the relevant times to ask then to lower the noise levels until they told me in not very pleasant terms to go away, I have even shouted to them from my bedroom window, all of which has no effect. I have contacted HBC Environmental Health and they did send a letter and spoke with the restaurant manager but that has just escalated things and last night after being woken yet again I finally snapped and turned a hose pipe on them, shame on me! The result is even worse relations and police being involved with me on the receiving end. My neighbours have complained too and they get the same fob off - keep a nuisance diary, for what reason I have no idea as it is every night they are open and the have been told that several times. So does anybody have any useful ideas as to what I can now do short of moving?

Richard

Re: Noise from Restaurant Adjacnet to Residential Block

Postby Richard » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:07 pm

I have every sympathy for anyone being disturbed by noise late at night, it can become a nightmare and it is clearly anti-social, the more so as you live close by, as do other residents who are being disturbed.
You were stressed out so much that you turned a hose on them and of course the Police would take a dim view, no doubt. (they always side with the miscreant if you threaten or take action on your own - as I have learned and are generally useless in such situations, except in preventing further action).

Have you tried contacting your local councillor?
Also Councils have a duty to deal with noise if it is considered a statutory nuisance, I presume the are still gathering evidence at this stage and can escalate the matter to serving a notice and fining them if it continues...

Enter the postcode at the following site:

https://democracy.eastsussex.gov.uk/mgFindMember.aspx

Richard

Re: Noise from Restaurant Adjacnet to Residential Block

Postby Richard » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:49 pm

You could also check (via the council) what type of licence the premises have been granted and/or planning permissions and whether they are in breach of any of the terms and conditions.
Petitions by members of the public can be filed with the council and any Police objections would also have to be considered before renewal would be permitted.

Return to “Locals have your say”