Road Sign Cleaning

From bins to boy racers, have your say on whatever makes your blood boil
Richard

Re: Road Sign Cleaning

Postby Richard » Fri May 27, 2016 8:31 pm

Hello Geoff,

If I don't click on the text saying 'Place inline' it gets rejected with the message:

ERROR
http error

But when I click on the text sayng 'Place inline' it works fine.

So, problem solved I think.

Still a bit odd though!!
Attachments
dirty man 2a.jpg

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Fri May 27, 2016 8:46 pm

This makes perfect sense to me. If you don't specify where you want the image to appear within your post then the forum won't know where to put it, so won't.

Glad you got there in the end. Another good example of our dirty road signs :D

Richard

Postby Richard » Fri May 27, 2016 10:33 pm

...most people would not know that they have to place an image 'inline'.
And what does this mean anyway when you have no indication that you must select it in the first place?
Also how does it relate to its placement in amongst a text block?

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Fri May 27, 2016 11:07 pm

Thanks Richard. So you upload an image and then want to place it at a set position within your post. Perhaps the phrase "place inline" is not the best, but essentially that's what you are doing.

If you could re-label the button what would you suggest? Maybe "place at cursor position" or just "place in post"?

Open to suggestions on this if it's causing confusion.

Richard

Postby Richard » Sat May 28, 2016 6:25 am

Aha! now I see, the 'Place inline' feature places the image anywhere in the text block where you set the I-beam flashing cursor, and if you don't otherwise alter the position of the cursor, which is naturally at the end of the piece you are typing, it will occur below that text.
That is quite clear now, previously I just expected the image to appear after the text, by default, (which it does, otherwise) and the 'Place inline' allows a refinement of the process.

A button labelled 'Insert at cursor point' would be more informative because 'Place inline' doesn't exactly inform you of this choice in the first place.
I was not clear previously what 'inline' meant.

I had trouble with error messages before, as reported, because there was a delay before the 'Place inline' etcetera, buttons materialised on my page and I was attempting to insert an image too quickly, by pressing the submit/preview button before the 'Place inline' button had loaded.
And I presume the button does not appear until the image has loaded ?

Phew (and Doh) !!!

Richard

Postby Richard » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:28 pm

I have seen a site that allows you to report any problem you find in your neighbourhood to the council, via a 3rd party website:

https://www.fixmystreet.com/

Don't know how effective it is, but there are loads of reported problems which can be seen if you type 'Hastings East Sussex' into the search box!!
:)

Return to “Locals have your say”