These Foolish Things

From bins to boy racers, have your say on whatever makes your blood boil
Richard

These Foolish Things

Postby Richard » Thu May 11, 2017 8:06 am

Skateboarding kids will probably be quite happy to learn that there is a new kiosk opening on the corner of Stonehouse and Queens road (near the rail/ road bridge).
It will be selling something I was completely unaware of - Longboards
Still not sure what these are as opposed to Skateboards, probably just longer?
Anyway it's called 'Stargasm' (of all things) and opens on May 15th.

I almost felt sorry for a kid who flew off a skateboard near Pelham roundabout the other day, and held his arm screaming with pain - he had clearly broken a bone!
:twisted:

ColinL

Re: These Foolish Things

Postby ColinL » Thu May 11, 2017 9:19 am

If a person does not do risky things as a young person they have not experienced the joys of learning and development.

Did you not climb walls, trees, slide down a bannister, do wheelies on a bike, (I could never do wheelies). I am still learning those things that I should not do, due to age and lack of agility! :lol: :roll:

Richard

Postby Richard » Thu May 11, 2017 11:43 am

Hi Colinl.

I suppose it depends on the perceived risk and whether you are doing it in order to not feel left out with your mates.
For some things you need a lot of 'bottle' for sure.
What is the most dangerous thing you did as a kid?

ColinL

Postby ColinL » Thu May 11, 2017 1:32 pm

I climbed a wall on the steps from Vicarage Rd down to Manor Rd. Unfortunately I did not notice some green slime as the wall slopped downwards and fell into the garden on to an iron bedstead arm and that was my first break of my wrist. Age 14.

Pulling my toy yacht on the edge Alexandra Pk boating lake failing to notice that the edge was not a straight line and promptly fell in. Age 6/7

Free climbing at Harrisons Rocks near Tunbridge Wells , strictly against all guidelines of which I was fully aware having had proper training. Falling flat on my feet from 15 or more feet. Spraining both ankles, making my ear drums wobble causing temporary deafness. On my own having to get back by train to Hastings. Age 17/18

My parents and brother despaired. My brother is now immune to things I will try to do!
The list is endless......

Richard

Postby Richard » Thu May 11, 2017 4:12 pm

The dangerous activities of my youth were 99% gang-related (mates) and walking across frozen lakes, canals etcetera.
I don't know why kids need longboards anyway - greater stability?

northants1066

Postby northants1066 » Sun May 21, 2017 11:13 am

After walking from Bohemia Road to Crowhurst via Gillsmans Hill we would then walk some of the way back home via the railway line to West St Leonards, not electrified in those days!1950's

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon May 22, 2017 8:30 am

I remember we used to put pennies on to see what would happen (old money!).

Hairygit

Postby Hairygit » Mon May 22, 2017 1:01 pm

Richard wrote:I remember we used to put pennies on to see what would happen (old money!).
We used to do the same, but with 2p pieces at Three Oaks or Doleham halts, back when it was still twin tracks and every train stopped there! When you see just what the weight of a train running over one at very low speed, it makes you realise just how dangerous playing on or near railway lines can be. So, any younger readers on this forum, DON'T try it yourself, it's been done many times before, and can be very dangerous! :pirate:

Return to “Locals have your say”