NHS/GP/Chemist in crisis

From bins to boy racers, have your say on whatever makes your blood boil
Mrs Ed Gein

NHS/GP/Chemist in crisis

Postby Mrs Ed Gein » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:54 pm

I have been waiting 2 weeks for the chemist to deliver medication. They have not had any supplies in. My withdrawal symptoms are too many to mention. For one reason or another getting a prescription is a fight and I'm sick of it. No apology received.

Would like to hear your stories of medical difficulties as things seem to be reaching crisis point.

Richard

Re: NHS/GP/Chemist in crisis

Postby Richard » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:03 pm

Hello ED,

Sorry you are being let down so badly, try to contact the followingL

http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/en/info/p ... ry-service

I find High-street chemists are not good if you want to pick repeat prescriptions up from the shop but the home delivery service can be contacted directly and can order medicines next day if they don't have them in stock.
No excuse for for failing to deliver after many days spent waiting.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:19 pm

Unfortunately we are not living in the best area for healthcare, it's very patchy. I have changed surgeries a couple of times (one doctor was so extremely rude and bullying that I made a formal complaint about him). Things are much better at the moment but I have had to be quite a stroppy "difficult" patient at times. Shouldn't be necessary but if they are not really listening to you ... Don't be too polite and passive!

Chemists are variable too. I find Boots staff distant and cold. As in all big organisations now, they are under pressure to deal with customers in a set number of minutes, offer them extra things ("Do you want anything else?") etc. Hence the staff often respond to you like zombies!

Private chemists are better, they can't afford to lose the custom, so creating a bit of a fuss (or moving elsehere) helps.

Mrs Ed Gein

Postby Mrs Ed Gein » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:35 am

Thank you for the replies. Prescription put in for processing on 3rd November and it was issued on 6th November but no-one seems to care as I am still without vital medication. One of my medications says never just stop taking as it needs to be slowly tapered off, but I seem to have no choice in the matter. I agree about not being too passive and feel sorry for those who can't stick up for themselves. What if you're mentally ill or have dementia. Quite a high percentage of homeless people have untreated mental health problems that go untreated.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:48 pm

That length of delay is quite unacceptable. You should consider changing the arrangements - different chemist, different surgery? Making a fuss, not necessarily rudely, does help!

I was taking a course of tablets once - which a new Asian doctor stopped dead prescribing. No replacement. I got double vision, dizziness, delusions, it was like having a very bad "trip"! Another doctor put me straight back onto the original pills. Pays to use your own common sense, not follow everything you are told.

Mrs Ed Gein

Postby Mrs Ed Gein » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:12 pm

That's very true. Sorry you had such an awful experience. The Care Quality Commission are now investigating my case.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:14 pm

Good for you. Hope it turns out well. Things only change when people "shout" and complain. In our heavily bureaucratised society these days, there is little sense of responsibility, blame is passed on to somebody else. It is very difficult for people to voice concerns in a truly democratic way (and in a way which is effective).

On a local level, there are a lot of things which need improvement, unfortunately the council have their own agenda and are not at all representative of what local people really think.

Glad you have surfaced in the forum, EG, a fresh voice! Keep on posting. A lot of good sides to Hastings but also a lot to gripe about.

jimbreeds

Postby jimbreeds » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:23 pm

This is all interesting. We're moving back to Hastings (Ore), later this week and need to register with a GP. I'm grateful for any advice using local knowledge on how to choose one.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:45 am

It seems to all be a bit chaotic at present. The surgeries operate largely on catchment areas, e.g. Carisbrooke Surgery for west of London Road, Warrior Square surgery for patients on the eastern side.

But because of the pressure, the local body for overseeing patient care is sending new patients wherever else they can be fitted in. My friend lost his GP (the manager of the practice is in trouble for dubious activities!), so he was allocated a new GP well north of Silverhill. Even though there are atleast four surgeries nearer to his home in St Leonards! Needless to say, he is not accepting it.

I found my surgery by just walking in and asking, but I think it is nor so simple and easy currently. I would recommend getting advice from locals and friends, the quality of service from different surgeries/doctors is unfortunately pretty variable.

jimbreeds

Postby jimbreeds » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:28 am

Thank you Seahermit. That's helpful. Ive asked local family for advice. They seem to be being passed around from GP to GP. My need is important as I have a heart condition that needs monitoring.

Return to “Locals have your say”