Pier

From bins to boy racers, have your say on whatever makes your blood boil
seahermit

Re: Pier

Postby seahermit » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:06 pm

I walk past the pier many days, on the way into town. Quite a depressing experience to see what used to be an elegant structure (with the splendid ballroom space, ideal for events) now lying empty, closed up, devoid of proper entertainment facilities even if the pier WAS open. Nobody does anything or takes control, seems to be the story of Hastings really.

It is sad the way Hastings has gone down in recent years despite all the nonsense spouted about "regeneration". The Jerwood gallery seems to have been a misfire, does not connect with or represent the local community in any way and I know nobody who likes it or ever goes there. But they knew before it started that the project was very unpopular ..!

So where does one go? The pubs in the town centre are pretty awful, rowdy and noisy and the Havelock is now closed. The Wetherspoon pub is bearable but often very rowdy, littered tables and always understaffed. I have been told by people who claim to know about these things that the pub is one of the worst three of the chain in the South East - the Brighton Wetherspoon pub apparently is equally poor and there is another somewhere which has a bad reputation!

So where does one have a nice quiet drink and a civilised chat with Auntie Maud? (My own relatives would be horrified if they ever met me in a town centre tavern!). In Brighton there are really nice wine bars, some real ale places, terrific whole food and vegetarian restaurants. Nothing like that in Hastings.

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:09 pm

I thought the pier had re-opened today.
There's always Bexhill which seems more refined but Brighton, Bexhill and Hastings all have their fare share of 'Junkies' on the pavement, begging in order to pay for their daily drug habit.
They will do anything in order to buy 'the brown stuff'.
Cocaine is the drug used by people with plenty of money.
Drugs, alcohol, cheap food all seem to be a problem that no amount of decent civic amenities will ever address.
What can be done?

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:17 pm

Yes, the pier is suddenly open again, the re-opening moved forward after pressure, it appears. But for what? Nothing much on there except a cafe or two!

I'm not sure about the relevance of the beggars and junkies - they are everywhere of course, but that is surely a rather separate issue ..

I have the feeling that the current owner of the pier, Sheik Abu Dhabi, may not last very long. I have nothing against anyone from any background taking on the challenge of the pier if they have the drive and imagination, but a few gold-painted lions and miserable-looking cows do not bode well for future development. So far, a lot of promises, not much change.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:26 pm

I'm not sure refined is quite the right word about Bexhill, it's a bit slow and a bit elderly, but definitely a nicer atmosphere and some very good cafes on the seafront.

There are moves apparently to make the town more young-friendly and more of an entertainment destination. That change will take a long time to effect - for a start, where are the facilities? The old cinema would have made a splendid music/nightclub/performance venue but the opportunity was lost when it was sold to Wetherspoons.

Richard

Postby Richard » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:21 pm

Hello seahermit, It is up to the parents to find outdoor opportunities for their kids - there are loads of activities available or are you thinking of adolescent youths of an awkward age who want to get away from adults and hang around together in a Youth Club?

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:41 pm

Kids grow up faster these days but I can't see young children going to discos or other events on their own any time soon ..

Obviously I (and Bexhill Town Council) are talking about youth. It is normal for them to want to go to their own kind of music events - I did, have fond memories of letting my hair down at pop and folk bashes.

But where would such events be held in Bexhill? A number of good venues in Hastings but I don't know of any in Bexhill. The pubs are small and horrible!

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:15 am

Oh! I see, so you want youth of unknown age to attend music events but the pubs in Bexhill are 'horrible and too small'.
Also I don't see how you can make music events for youth only, even if you don't say what age you refer to...

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:48 am

My own wants have nothing to do with it. You live in Hastings, so presumably you are aware of the existence of some disco/nightclubs in places like Robertson Street/Cambridge Road and there are one or two in George Street. Teenagers (and older) like to go to those places and what's wrong with that? No comparable venues in Bexhill.

You don't see how one "can make music events for youth only". It's true - you see a lot of OAPs dancing about madly at the discos clutching their pension books ..

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:07 pm

I don't think I want to say anything further on this topic. Some of the responses are ill-informed and do not appear to make sense, it's getting too irritating.

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:10 pm

Confused.com?

Return to “Locals have your say”