Bullying at school

From bins to boy racers, have your say on whatever makes your blood boil
Richard

Bullying at school

Postby Richard » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:43 pm

A Caribbean neighbour of mine was summoned to his child's school today and threatened with a fine for the below average attendance of the child.
The school had previously been made aware that one of his girls was being bullied at school and had to take time off to recover, after being taunted and called a 'nigger'. The girl was naturally very upset.
Apparently if your child misses a certain amount of schooling the parents can then be fined, which adds insult to injury.
The school knew about the bullying but were more concerned at punitive measures for poor attendance.
It seems that the age-old problem of bullying continues, on many levels, regardless.
Many schools seem powerless to prevent it and the parents of the bullies are sometimes either unable to cope or just couldn't care less.

Richard

Re: Bullying at school

Postby Richard » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:53 pm

My neighbour has now decided that the better way forward is to write a letter to the Headmaster of his daughter's school, asking what their policy is re-bullying and what they will do to address his concerns.
I think that this is the right way to proceed and then, if no satisfaction results, he can take the matter to the School's Board of Governors as they may be unaware of any issues, particularly in this case.
If you write to an organisation, such as a school or company, with complaints about their service they are put on the spot and have to respond carefully as their written reply can be used in future negotiations.

To penalise the parents for a child's consequent lack of attendance, as a result of bullying, seems to be a wholly wrong decision and highlights the failing of that school.

Return to “Locals have your say”