Access to Vaccination

From bins to boy racers, have your say on whatever makes your blood boil
Richard

Access to Vaccination

Postby Richard » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:53 am

Has anyone over the age of 66, without any major health issues, tried to have a vaccine against covid and succeeded ?

I receive letters asking me to book online, yet when I do I am informed as follows:
'You were unable to go to/missed your first appointment to get the coronavirus vaccine'.
This is a bit of annoyance really as it is completely untrue.
I am then invited to book it again and directed to a pharmacy called 'Laycocks' in Old London road, where I am then told online that there are no appointments available.
Next I am directed to a site in Ticehurst, where they may or may not have availability, by which time I have given up.
;)

seahermit

Re: Access to Vaccination

Postby seahermit » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:17 pm

Sounds like some sort of cock-up in the system.

I was contacted about my first jab, which happened shortly afterwards without problem. I was told that I would be contacted later about the follow-up jab. No need for me to "try" to do anything. Surely that's the same for all?

If the system doesn't work properly, for whatever reason, one just complains persistently until someone does something!

Richard

Postby Richard » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:59 pm

seahermit, how exactly were you contacted?
Where did the 'jab' take place?
How does one complain about a lack of contact?
My Hastings Plaza health surgery calls are not answered after many minutes with the phone ringing, waiting for a response.
This happens time and again.

To be told online: 'You were unable to go to/missed your first appointment to get the coronavirus vaccine' seems like a provocation.
However, as long as those at great risk receive their jabs then I don't mind waiting.
The system seems overwhelmed by supply shortages as there are many sites in Hastings available and yet no appointments.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:02 pm

As an over-65 patient, I received leaflets from the NHS and texts from my surgery, was told I would be contacted further about the jab. Then got a letter (from some central booking place) giving me an appointment at the Hastings Centre. All went OK.

I am sorry about your problems, it absolutely should not happen. Your doctor's surgery should be the first port of call for info surely, although a friend of mine used to go the Hastings Plaza surgery and complained of problems actually seeing doctors - he now goes to the new health centre in Bexhill Road.

You are better at research than I am, so maybe type some questions into Google, especially try the NHS website. I have checked over my various bits of paper - lots of stuff about Covid but almost nothing about how to get the jab! The nameless beaurocrats somewhere contacted me as being in a vulnerable category.

I suspect they don't publish clear info about booking a jab because they fear being overwhelmed by enquiries from anxious people. But I thought all older people were supposed to have received the first jab by now - surely they are talking about MOST people being vaccinated within another couple of months?

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:45 pm

I have checked through one or two other forums which I frequent. Some people in their fifties are reporting that they have received the jab, although it seems to vary, some parts of the country ahead of others.

Info on the NHS website states that people over 50 can now book a jab - at their local surgery or online. Doesn't depend on special vulnerability.

I think you need to shout a bit at the NHS!

Richard

Postby Richard » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:21 pm

Thank you seahermit,
I will probably try NHS 119 or 111 next to see if they can help.

number9

Postby number9 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:40 pm

I think you should ring 119.
Last edited by number9 on Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:09 am

I seem to have got off rather lightly, sorry! I didn't have to ask for anything, except possibly I remember that I had to "confirm" the vaccination date with a text message.

Let us know, Richard, how you get on, it sounds as if your name has been missed.

Not sure what 119 is - another health advice number?

Richard

Postby Richard » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:02 am

Anyone unable to book online can call 119 free of charge, anytime between 7am and 11pm seven days a week.
You get to speak to a real person!
A nice lady called Vicky.

You need to be registered at a GP surgery.
Have your NHS number to hand if possible.

Just tried 119 again after several weeks - still telling me availability at Eastbourne only!
:roll: :roll:

number9

Postby number9 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:21 pm

I would suggest you go online onto the gvt official vaccine website.
It's very easy to navigate. you have to put in your NHS number each time you enter
It will probably say you missed or cancelled an appointment, ignore this
Just fill in a few easy details and " Kap-ow " they list the places that are nearest.
As you know usually says Ticehurst or Eastbourne.
Just go online 2-3 times a day at different times and you'll be able to look yourself without having to phone. Hopefully you'll suddenly see Laycocks in Ore come up but it may take a few days if you get lucky.

Return to “Locals have your say”