maternity hospital - where is it?

Looking for info on Hastings & St Leonards past times. Post here!
patrick

Re: maternity hospital - where is it?

Postby patrick » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:03 pm

You can click on Filsham Road where it meets St.Vincents.A small green mark will appear..Click on this and you will see 'Whats here', click on that..On the left of the screen where the address is you will see the word 'more', click on that and you will see Street View,click on that and you will see Filsham Road, you can move 360 degrees and up and down the road using the arrow.You can follow the Kwik Fit van as it turns into St.Vincents Road or you can retrace and go into St.Saviours Road..Hope you can work that out..

Marina

Re: maternity hospital - where is it?

Postby Marina » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:40 pm

Hi Patrick

Thanks for your reply. I know how to use street view. What I am asking is where do we need to be, and looking in which direction, so that we can see St Vincents?

Thanks again

Marina

marij sak

maternity hospital - where is it?

Postby marij sak » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:23 pm

Have just come across this:
Hello; I was born in The Briers Nursing Home, Silverhill Park on Old Roar Road. East Sussex Record Office says:In 1924 it was owned by Mr RM Coley; in 1930 by Mrs MR Newgass and in 1934 it was listed as a nursing home owned by Mrs PAK Brett who was also the matron. I have a photo of her holding me in front of the home (3-storey house really!) By 1966 it was owned by Major Henzell-Ascroft and was no longer a nursing home. No one can tell me for certain but it's possible this house was demolished in the 70s. Would be most grateful for any further information you can pass on. Can email pic of the house if you email me direct: djm DOT millage AT clear DOT net DOT nz
http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums ... rds-on-Sea

and this (site includes photos - http://www.savesilverhill.co.uk/history)
In the 1940s it [The Briers] was a registered Medical and Maternity home. The matron then was a Miss Brett and the photograph on the right shows her in 1943 holding a baby born at the house to a lady who worked for the BBC in Hastings.

The Briers was replaced by a block of flats in the late 1970s.

Return to “Historic Hastings”