Gas Cottages?

Looking for info on Hastings & St Leonards past times. Post here!
nina

Re: Gas Cottages?

Postby nina » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:48 pm

to geoff wolfe friend of mine who lived in stonefeild rd remembers the gas board showrooms and the cottages which where acssesed via a gate at the end of the showrooms.these would have been in what is now morrisons carpark.one of the families was called Stone they had a daughter katrina she also thinks she had a younger brother [no name] are you sure that the photo you have posted are the gas cottages in question as they dont look anything like them also there where only about 4. also can you tell me where you got the picture from.and do you know the location of them nina

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:02 pm

Hi Nina

Yes, pretty sure these were the ones. I took the photo myself specially for the forum. Situated at the top of Waterworks Road, behind Morrisons car park. They back on to the railway on the other side. Looks like five cottages at the most.

Hope this helps.

Geoff

patrick

Postby patrick » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:42 pm

This was Waterworks Road and the cottages were known as Waterworks Cottages,the land mentioned belonged to the Hastings and St.Leonards Gas Works,I believe that when it closed down it was taken over by the local Bus company,Hastings Corporation Stores Yard and the Stray Dogs Home was in this road..I believe the Gas Works was owned by Liberal supporters and run in competition against the Conservative owned works..in the 1920's the shop mentioned were coffee rooms

nina

Postby nina » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:58 pm

geoff do you know the name of the cottages that where in the gas yard acsessed from queens road and behind the gas showrooms nina

Gerry Glyde

Postby Gerry Glyde » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:45 am

[quoted]
Clive Hazelden wrote:
My grandparents lived in Waterworks Road in the early 1900's, I believe in number 9. I can remember Gower's florists shop in the fifties from when we lived in Braybrook Road, not far away. Grandfather worked for the Gas Board, initially caring for their horses and later as a van driver. The Board had a showroom in Queen's Road with a large yard behind with gasholders and workshops which I often saw as a lad. This yard extended to the rear of Waterworks Road, I believe.
[/quoted]

My 4x grandpaprents lived in Gas Cottages in the mid 1800s. Lawrence Glyde became a Gas Works Manager and also worked at Horsham and Newmarket to establish their Gas Works. His descendants were plumbers and gas fitters in the Waldegrave Street area nearby

patrick

Postby patrick » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:45 am

If you go to Google Maps and then Google Street View you can see Waterworks Road, the houses and the shop on the corner,which now sells lighting fixtures.The view goes as far as the entrance to the former Council Works yard but you can see the former Gas Cottages in the background.The cottages have now been converted into a childs playgroup or meeting place..I cannot remember if the cottages were entirely demolished..Google Street View can be a bit fiddly to start with but once you get used to it can be very good_ _ _

terry_again

Postby terry_again » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:50 pm

As mentioned elsewhere, the shop on the corner that now sells light fittings was originally a temperance pub called (if my memory serves me correctly) the British workman Coffee Tavern and the shop next door was once used as a soup kitchen for the poor.

Like all the so called temperance pubs in the town, it doesn't appear to have lasted very long and later (1920s?) became an off licence called the Clock House. It's still known as the Clock House today.

An old advert for the off licence is shown.

[img://www.hastingsforum.co.uk/forums/sf_attachments/cloc.JPG]

Hillsy

Postby Hillsy » Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:28 pm

Norma Mechaly wrote:[quoted]
At 1:40:20 PM 14/03/05, William Buckenham wrote:
I was also interested to hear what had happened to these cottages. My great grandfather, William Thwaites (b.1824 d.1916) lived in one of them with his parents, William (1800-43) and Jane, nee Prior. They are listed in 1841 census. I have William's bible with "Gas cottages, Stonefield" on fly leaf.
[/quoted]

To William Buckenham, I lived on the corner of Queens Rd and Waterworks rd my father took over the family florist, he was born there in 1910 my grandparents were Lizzie Louise and Lester James Gower. They had 7 children. I was 2yrs old when I went to live over the shop in 1946, and left in 1953 to go to London. My two aunts lived in the two cottages across the street from the ones you talk about, their names were Doris Maslin and Joyce Pickard. I am so excited to find someone who knows where I grew up. Please Keep in Touch. I now live in Florida.

Norma formaly Gower

To Norma Mechaly
I have just come across this site while looking for any pictures of 1 waterworks rd. My grandmother was Joyce Pickard and my mother was Rae Paulette Pickard the youngest of four siblings, I can just remember Auntie Doris who lived next door to my Grandmother. I still live in the town, am not sure wether this eply will get to you.

Samantha Hart

Postby Samantha Hart » Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:58 am

William Buckenham wrote:I was also interested to hear what had happened to these cottages. My great grandfather, William Thwaites (b.1824 d.1916) lived in one of them with his parents, William (1800-43) and Jane, nee Prior. They are listed in 1841 census. I have William's bible with "Gas cottages, Stonefield" on fly leaf.

I lived in no1 waterworks cottage back in the 80s when the hurricane hit.
I loved that house, although sometimes it was a little creepy.
I had so much fun running up and down the yard.
But sometimes there was often a car dumped in the grounds of where Morrison's is now and set on fire.
It's a shame they were knocked down.

Samantha Hart

Postby Samantha Hart » Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:02 am

Geoff Wolfe wrote:Seeing as there seems to be quite a bit of interest in these cottages I have put a current day photo up on the site. As you will see the buildings are now boarded up and lay derelict, but If anyone has some history of the properties or old photos I wil be interested in using them on the site.

gas-cottages.jpg

I lived in no1 waterworks cottage back in the 80s with my family.
Our neighbors were called paddy and Gill.
We lived there for about 2 years at least when I was about 6.
I know we were there when the hurricane hit.

Return to “Historic Hastings”