Gas Cottages?

Looking for info on Hastings & St Leonards past times. Post here!
Kay Fearn

Gas Cottages?

Postby Kay Fearn » Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:06 pm

Can anyone advise what happened to these?
Shown as an address on an 1890 marriage certificate, but no record on the 1901 Census.
Thanks for any help.

Danny

Re: Gas Cottages?

Postby Danny » Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:19 pm

There are a few cottages next to the railway tracks near to the Safeway Superstore (now called Morrisons), can not remember the name of the road, but it runs from Queens road up to the railway.

Up until the mid 80s the land that the store was on was dominated by huge gas "towers". There were gas works in the same area earlier in the centuary.

I think these might be the gas work cottages you are looking for.

Geoff Wolfe

Postby Geoff Wolfe » Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:40 pm

The road you are thinking of is called Waterworks Road and there is/was definately cottages at the top, beyond the underpass that goes benieth the railway and comes out opposite the park.

You can see it on this site's map at grid refrence E4, just click Area Maps and choose the Street Map from there.

William Buckenham

Postby William Buckenham » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:40 pm

I was also interested to hear what had happened to these cottages. My great grandfather, William Thwaites (b.1824 d.1916) lived in one of them with his parents, William (1800-43) and Jane, nee Prior. They are listed in 1841 census. I have William's bible with "Gas cottages, Stonefield" on fly leaf.

Geoff Wolfe

Postby Geoff Wolfe » Thu May 12, 2005 8:27 am

Seeing as there seems to be quite a bit of interest in these cottages I have put a current day photo up on the site. As you will see the buildings are now boarded up and lay derelict, but If anyone has some history of the properties or old photos I wil be interested in using them on the site.

gas-cottages.jpg

Norma Mechaly

Postby Norma Mechaly » Fri May 13, 2005 2:58 am

[quoted]
At 1:40:20 PM 14/03/05, William Buckenham wrote:
I was also interested to hear what had happened to these cottages. My great grandfather, William Thwaites (b.1824 d.1916) lived in one of them with his parents, William (1800-43) and Jane, nee Prior. They are listed in 1841 census. I have William's bible with "Gas cottages, Stonefield" on fly leaf.
[/quoted]

To William Buckenham, I lived on the corner of Queens Rd and Waterworks rd my father took over the family florist, he was born there in 1910 my grandparents were Lizzie Louise and Lester James Gower. They had 7 children. I was 2yrs old when I went to live over the shop in 1946, and left in 1953 to go to London. My two aunts lived in the two cottages across the street from the ones you talk about, their names were Doris Maslin and Joyce Pickard. I am so excited to find someone who knows where I grew up. Please Keep in Touch. I now live in Florida.

Norma formaly Gower

Clive Hazelden

Postby Clive Hazelden » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:22 pm

My grandparents lived in Waterworks Road in the early 1900's, I believe in number 9. I can remember Gower's florists shop in the fifties from when we lived in Braybrook Road, not far away. Grandfather worked for the Gas Board, initially caring for their horses and later as a van driver. The Board had a showroom in Queen's Road with a large yard behind with gasholders and workshops which I often saw as a lad. This yard extended to the rear of Waterworks Road, I believe.

Norma Mechaly

Postby Norma Mechaly » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:46 am

Dear Clive Hazelden, I was so pleased to see, that you remembered where I grew up over the top of my Dads florist Gower's on the corner of Waterworks Rd. Do you still live in Hastings, and what school did you go to? I hope to come on a memory lane trip to Hastings this summer. I do remember Braybrook rd where you lived. I will be staying in a Bed and Breakfast in Priory Park rd very close to Waterworks,, turns out to be a nursery school run by miss Beasley that I went to at age 3yrs. Who knows, if we are the same age about maybe we knew each other?

Steve Wilks

Postby Steve Wilks » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:04 pm

[quoted]
Norma Mechaly wrote:
[quoted]
At 1:40:20 PM 14/03/05, William Buckenham wrote:
[/quoted]

To William Buckenham, I lived on the corner of Queens Rd and Waterworks rd my father took over the family florist, he was born there in 1910 my grandparents were Lizzie Louise and Lester James Gower. They had 7 children. I was 2yrs old when I went to live over the shop in 1946, and left in 1953 to go to London. My two aunts lived in the two cottages across the street from the ones you talk about, their names were Doris Maslin and Joyce Pickard. I am so excited to find someone who knows where I grew up. Please Keep in Touch. I now live in Florida.

Norma formaly Gower

[/quoted]

Lester and Lizzie may well have been my grandparents. My grandparents moved to Cricklade near Swindon to due th the War. My mother was Jill who with her twin Jack was part of 7 siblings. If this fits with your family please get in touch. I also had a great Aunt Doris and Joyce but I remember one moved to Blackpool and one stayed in Hastings.

Norma Mechaly

Postby Norma Mechaly » Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:31 pm

I was so pleased to get your message, yes you are deffinately my family member, you did not put your name though. Your mother and her twin brother are my first cousins. My auntie Doris and auntie Joyce lived few doors away from us in Hastings, it was aunte Grace who lived in Blackpool, their was also aunte Edna. Uncle oak, uncle Bert your Grandfather my Uncle Bob and my Dad Norman, oh I am so excited to have found you. Please send me a letter by mail with your address and phone number, and I will write and call you. We must keep in touch, My mums name was Dolly.
Lizzie and Lester must have been your Great grandparents.
Norma Mechaly
18554 Harbor Light Way
Boca Raton
Florida 33498
U S A

Return to “Historic Hastings”