Children's home/orphanage

Looking for info on Hastings & St Leonards past times. Post here!
Stephen Pinn

Postby Stephen Pinn » Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:40 am

I am inquiring on behalf of my father, Harry Pinn, who was sent to a children's home/orphanage in St Leonard's from about 1933 to about 1940 (aged 9-16). He believes the address was 6 The Highlands, although I cannot find any reference to such an address on the Internet.

He was a chorister at St Leonard's (at the same time as the counter-tenor Alfred Deller) and also won a scholarship to Hastings Grammar School.

Does anyone have any recollections/knowledge about the children's home? Is the building still standing? If so, what is it now?

Now aged 80, he would be delighted to hear from anyone with further information.

Thanks,

Stephen Pinn

David hancock

Re: Children's home/orphanage

Postby David hancock » Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:29 pm

The Highlands is an area of St Leonards Bounded by Boscobell Road, Pevensea Road, Highlands Gardens and an un-names footpath. There was also a Highlands Hotel (now called an "Inn") in Boscobell Road. The "Highlands buildings are all built of local sandstone and there are some impressive buildings. I do not know of a home or orphanage since the 50s but there aremany buildings that would have been big enough for that purpose.

Hope this helps

Geoff Wolfe

Postby Geoff Wolfe » Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:30 pm

The area is shown on this site's Hastings and St Leonards map at grid location F2. Click on "area maps" on the left, then view the "interactive street map" to find square F2. Boscobel Road etc is right in the middle.

If anyone knows any more about the orphanage please let us know.

Geoff

Stephen Pinn

Re: Children

Postby Stephen Pinn » Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:59 pm

[quoted]
At 6:29:06 PM 25/02/05, David hancock wrote:
The Highlands is an area of St Leonards Bounded by Boscobell Road, Pevensea Road, Highlands Gardens and an un-names footpath. There was also a Highlands Hotel (now called an "Inn") in Boscobell Road. The "Highlands buildings are all built of local sandstone and there are some impressive buildings. I do not know of a home or orphanage since the 50s but there aremany buildings that would have been big enough for that purpose.

Hope this helps

[/quoted]
Thanks very much for this. I hope it jogs a few memories.

marcia_diamant

Postby marcia_diamant » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:07 pm

I recall a building that used to be on the route of the 72 bus which went past the station then turned right into Filsham road from St Vincents Road the building was on the right hand side just near the junction. That is the building that I was told was the Orphanage, I seem to think it was sort of 1920 type in white.

kim_fedpac_co_nz

Postby kim_fedpac_co_nz » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:25 am

[quoted]
Stephen Pinn wrote:
I am inquiring on behalf of my father, Harry Pinn, who was sent to a children's home/orphanage in St Leonard's from about 1933 to about 1940 (aged 9-16). He believes the address was 6 The Highlands, although I cannot find any reference to such an address on the Internet.

He was a chorister at St Leonard's (at the same time as the counter-tenor Alfred Deller) and also won a scholarship to Hastings Grammar School.

Does anyone have any recollections/knowledge about the children's home? Is the building still standing? If so, what is it now?

Now aged 80, he would be delighted to hear from anyone with further information.

Thanks,

Stephen Pinn
[/quoted]

Hi Stephen, my grandfather was in an orphanage called St Leonards. It was at the top of a hill. It was offocially a motherless boys home. It was run by a captain. My grandfathers nick name was Skinny. He would have been there the same time as your father. if you are interested my grandfather wrote a book about the home its called : "Don't forget to yell". You might be able to buy it on ebay or something. The book describes the home, many of the boys by name and the conditions. My grandfather passed away about four years ago he would be about 87 now if he were alive. If you want some more info about the homes in the area please do read the book its really interesting or email me. I live in New Zealand. My grandfathers name was Len Hill - I was curious because of the strange co-incidence between his name and the orphanage name and location.

patrick

Postby patrick » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:08 pm

Could this have been the National Children's Home on the West Hill ? this is fairly near The Highlands. One way to confirm this is to ask whether the orphanage looked out towards the sea and towards Eastbourne.

louise_williams

Postby louise_williams » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:18 pm

there was boys home and a girls home in mount pleasant road hastings. My nan Lilian Hyland lived there and so did her brothers and sisters. This road is on a hill. She passed away 2002 and so have all of her siblings so unfortunately we have limited info. I can remember her telling me that the girls used to meet u with the boys on occasions and this is how she learned that she had brothes living there! She woul've been about 2 or 3 when she first lived there. Not sure how long it was for.

Return to “Historic Hastings”