Dunclutha

Looking for info on Hastings & St Leonards past times. Post here!
patrick

Re: Dunclutha

Postby patrick » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:06 pm

Try Google maps. Just type in Dunclutha Road, Hastings,England, then you can see an overhead shot of the surrounding area and then try the street view and wander up and down at your leisure_ _ _

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:00 pm

I have added Dunclutha Road to the street views section.

Quick link here for you_ _ _

Dunclutha Road Street View

Enjoy!

Judi

Postby Judi » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:43 pm

Hi
Have just come across this site so maybe interest in this subject has long ended. Anyway - I lived in Dunclutha Lodge for many years and have memories of the Dunclutha area. As a child I remember fields in front of the Lodge and I could see the football ground from my bedroom. The ground was used for Horse Buggy Racing as well as football. My father sold the field to Friars Builders and an estate of bungalows was built. Opposite the Lodge was the large Guest House owned by Miss Wilson ( known as Willow ) I also occasionally joined the ladies dancing classes and had a special tunic made for these classes. This house was eventually demolished after Miss Wilson sold the property and new houses were built.
Shining Cliff where the Passam's lived was built a little later. Like Gillian in an earlier reply, I frequently went into the long greenhouse - sometimes just to smell the tomatoes growing there or to see if there were any ripe grapes. I think I remember Gillian and her sister - apologies if I have the wrong person!! The Lodge I lived in was at the entrance to St John's Nursing Home - run by some of the nuns from the community who inspired the TV series Call The Midwife. I believe the Nursing Home has also been demolished and there are new houses on the site. As far as I know, Dunclutha Lodge is still there, although I haven't been back to Hastings since the mid 1990's. Beyond Shining Cliff was St John's Woods - a beautiful wooded area with a very rough road/track that came out on The Ridge. Will leave more information for now to see if there are people still interested.

whiffler

Postby whiffler » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:48 pm

Keep it coming ... the odd snippets, photos, & connections ought not be lost. Someone will find it of interest sooner or later.

Return to “Historic Hastings”