Bombed Church, Mount Pleasant Road/Hughenden Place

Looking for info on Hastings & St Leonards past times. Post here!
sausage

Bombed Church, Mount Pleasant Road/Hughenden Place

Postby sausage » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:47 pm

Hi, HELP, my daughter needs to find out by 5.30 this evening about the chuch described for a Brownies project. A beatiful church stood here which was bombed. A block of flats now occupies the site which incorporates St. Mark's church. We can find no info about the old church. Just it's name would be a help. Does anybody know?

patrick

Re: Bombed Church, Mount Pleasant Road/Hughenden Place

Postby patrick » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:57 pm

I hope you do not mind me saying so but this is quite short notice.AS far back as 1896 this was a Congregational Church and no name was given and was still listed as such until the 1970's..The Mount Pleasant church was not destroyed as the bomb landed outside..This was at 4 oclock on September 22nd 1940..You can see a picture of the damage in "Hastings and St.Leonards in the Front Line" a copy of which can be seen in the Reference Library..Perhaps the full name was The Mount Pleasant Congregational Church..

sausage

Re: Bombed Church, Mount Pleasant Road/Hughenden Place

Postby sausage » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:18 am

Thank you Patrick. I only discovered on the way to school that this info was required for a project. I have since learned (if you are interested) that the church was demolished in the 70's as the upkeep was too costly compared with the number of people who were attending. It could only be demolished on the condition that the current church was incorporated on the site. The old church was also St. Mark's. I presumed it was bombed and got that wrong. We will go to the library and find the book you suggested.

Return to “Historic Hastings”