Dobell and Bros., Clockmakers

Looking for info on Hastings & St Leonards past times. Post here!
javerill

Dobell and Bros., Clockmakers

Postby javerill » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:24 pm

Hello from Houston, Texas.
My wife owns a carriage clock with "Dobell and Bros, Hastings" on the face. She bought it years ago when she lived in London. Does anyone have information about this company? Thanks.

patvick

Re: Dobell and Bros., Clockmakers

Postby patvick » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:14 am

They were an Art jewellers and watchmakers at 21 Robertson Street,Hastings from Victorian times until,at least until the late 1930's.. Seems to have been a family business..After the war they were jewellers which suggests that that side of the business,watchmaking, had been given up_ _ _.They are mentioned on this site in the Local History section regarding a clock on Hastings Pier_ _ _
The shop lasted until the 1970's,possibly the shop and name had been taken over by another jeweller in the 1940's_ _ _

javerill

Postby javerill » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:52 pm

Thanks for the info! It appears that Robertson Street has several jewelers. Do you know if any of the those are "old-timers"? I might make some inquiries with them.

Heatherp

Postby Heatherp » Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:16 pm

Hello - my grandfather was Apprenticed to this firm as a master jeweller and clockmaker. The war intervened and Ambrose and Dobell had a difficult time. I believe the firm traded up until the early 1970s. The clock that you have will definitely be a quality item. My grandfather later had a shop in the old part of Hastings as S.C. Bull antiques.

whiffler

Postby whiffler » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:13 pm

On Google streetview number 21 is TinTins bar - shabby chic, in that the original curved window structure and mosaic foyer seem to be in place.

Here is nearby no 15

https://www.1066online.co.uk/gallery/ol ... son-street

Return to “Historic Hastings”