Castle Terrace

Looking for info on Hastings & St Leonards past times. Post here!
Gerry Glyde

Re: Castle Terrace

Postby Gerry Glyde » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:15 pm

A record of the then churches was produced for the papacy in 1291, when there were seven. A century later it had dwindled to 4. The rise, fall and shift of population then created the need for new parishes carved out of existing ones. For example housing development on the West Hill post 1870 created a parish of Emmanuel, presumably out of St. Mary IC. Halton church was known as 'St Clements Halton' presumably although I have no evidence, out of St Clements.

Here is a competition. According to my sources a house on Castle Hill Road has a cross of St. Andrew carved into the plaster on the fascia. The houses in the area were bult at the same time as the new Church.

I will award a star to the first person to identify a St. Andrews Cross and the number of the
house. Was it the actual site?

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:09 pm

Will take you up on that promise, one day soon, Gerry.
I need some time to get up there, some Parishes seem to have appeared or re-surfaced in later Victorian times.
If the Church of the day can designate new ones, according to the needs and population growth (and consequent spread), then that would be interesting in itself.

julianaflipflop

Postby julianaflipflop » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:06 pm

I found this from a Google search and I have been looking for Castle Terrace on and of for ages.
I couldn't see it on the maps pages so did more research and found a digitised book by Google called
The Hand-Book of Hastings, St. Leonard's and Their Neighbourhood.
By Mary Matilda Howard
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=kpJ ... gs&f=false
There is an advertisement in it for undertakers and there is and address of
4 Castle Terrace, Wellington Square
Which suggests Castle Terrace was a terrace of houses in `Wellington Square.
However this does not fit in with my family research as in 1851 Castle Terrace was also known as Bean's Cottages as a group of them where all occupied by the same family 'Bean'
I suppose it is a possibilty that they where mews built at the back of Wellington Square.

julianaflipflop

Postby julianaflipflop » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:13 pm

I've since found another reference to Castle Terrace in a book about Spa Towns published in 1841

ttps://books.google.co.uk/books/content ... 296&edge=0

It suggests that Wellington Square creeps up towards Castle Terrace, which suggests it is slightly north east of the sqaure up Castle Hill.

But no sign of true cottages there as described in 1851 census

whiffler

Postby whiffler » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:35 pm

Ion Castro features Wellington Square in the latest Observer Nostalgia

http://www.hastingsobserver.co.uk/news/ ... -1-8059324

1875 OS Town Plan 1:500 shows Castle Terrace on NW junction of modern Castle Hill Rd & Passage. The large corner plot by the steps and working up hill for 5+ ? properties. 1066 Bakery was part of Castle Place

I vaguely remember there being commercial look to some of the frontage(s), but that was early 60s and may be a false memory. Looking at Google these houses are now c53-61 CHRd - highest house has an archway giving access to a passage, so maybe handy for coffins to workshops at rear ?

ColinL

Postby ColinL » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:22 pm

Hi Whiffler
If you mean the properties going down toward town from the 1066, they were shops. There was a sweet shop next to it, further down possibly a hairdressers, grocers/greengrocer. The end one on the corner was, I think residential by the 1960s. However my memory is a bit woolly despite walking past there several days a week. The Kelly's or Pikes will be able to provide the true picture

whiffler

Postby whiffler » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:29 am

Colin

You describe Castle Place, the newsagents expanded into the SW/lower corner premises late 60s, at which time I was doing a paper round from there. I'd forgotten the

Nice that you mention a woolly memory, as the shop at the other end (top of Stonefield Road) was a wool shop called .... The Wool Shop. Many a jersey/cardigan/balaclava worn in my childhood made with wool sourced from there.

Brian

Return to “Historic Hastings”