Castle Terrace

Looking for info on Hastings & St Leonards past times. Post here!
Jadesams

Castle Terrace

Postby Jadesams » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:19 pm

I was wondering if anyone could help me locate castle terrace in hastings,in the st mary in the castle area? The road is there up to the 1901 census and in the hastings street directory, but in no maps from the time,i've gone back to 1870's map. I have turned the refrence libary up side down, but i have got no where! There was 16 house,mostly shops, it seems werid that this cant be found!. Also castledown terrace is a completly different road.

Any help would be amazing!

thank you!

jackie

Re: Castle Terrace

Postby jackie » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:08 pm

Hi
I have spoken to my in-laws who think that Castle Terrace was on the site of the car park on castle hill road (opposite the Indian Restaurant). My mother in law remembers getting the bus outside a row of shops and there being a large area where buses could turn around. If you look at the back wall below the Castle, there are outlines where buildings have been.
I hope this is helpful.
Jackie

whiffler

Postby whiffler » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:27 am

Gerry Glyde

Postby Gerry Glyde » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:20 pm

A monthly subscription is a bit expensive to answer a question.
It was not uncommon to have a short row of houses within a road, sub named as a Terrace or Villas but not deviating from the numbering system. The name Villa or Terrace was often carved into the plaster work of the property and not on the road signs. Alternatively a terrace may have been renumbered into the main street.

I cannot check but there is a short row of houses at a right angle to the main road just before Wellington Sq.before Castle Hill Pass.but that may be Castle Cotts. The census shows some 15 or so properties on the terrace so on reflection I hazard a guess that it may be the row of houses set high under the castle wall, that if memory is correct is not a road but a path access. That may have also been renamed. The 1901 census states that one of the properties was a lodging house which would be appropriate for a larger property

Prior to the 1970s, before the car park was laid out on the lower part of Castle Hill Rd, there was a small M & D bus depot directly behind the house on the top corner of the Square. It could have housed perhaps 2 or 3 buses.

whiffler

Postby whiffler » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:25 pm

I have no subscription, and can see the maps. It is a very useful resource. You even get Russian military maps, which show the East Hill lift as a fortress !.

use the co-ordinates quoted, then select the 1875 1:500 map.

Hover over the map and you get a little magnifying glass, use it and the map will enlarge and re-centre at that point. Scroll bars will enable you to see remainder of map with magnification. You have to register and pay if you want further magnification - which would be handy on the 1:10000 maps

The terrace is named on the west side of castle hill rd, running down to the corner where the steps are.

I used to live in Milward Rd and had a paper round late 60s and that area was my route. I never realised that the green on the corner of castle hill rd was where an earlier St Andrew's Church stood.

Gerry Glyde

Postby Gerry Glyde » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:59 pm

Thanks that is useful. How do you find coordinates in the first place?

whiffler

Postby whiffler » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:02 pm

From start screen, either search for Hastings and drag the map around, or you can click on the national map and drill down until you've the area you want.

Wherever the map is focussed there'l be a red label, the co-ordinates show in the info above the map.

I just gave you the co-ordinates to cut through the above and get you to the location itself.

Another resource is http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw000758 - free subscription, without which you cannot zoom. However, this 1920 shot shows the terrace quite clearly, including the bit adjacent that waslater demolished.

Between these two sites you can often pick interweaving history .... if you're lucky.

Richard

Postby Richard » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:18 pm

Its news to me that there was a St Andrews Church (reputed to be operating at least since the 13th C.) situated in Castle Hill Road.

whiffler

Postby whiffler » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:05 pm

On the case .... expect new thread.

To admin, is there somewhere where useful resources can be advertised for wider use? I've shared two, and have a third.

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:34 am

Sounds interesting whiffler.

regarding the Parishes of Hastings, not sure when each was established - presumably not all at the same time?

Return to “Historic Hastings”