Carlisle Pub (Pelham Arms), Denmark Arms and Public Shelter

Looking for info on Hastings & St Leonards past times. Post here!
Shell

Re: Carlisle Pub (Pelham Arms), Denmark Arms and Public Shel

Postby Shell » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:37 pm

I was doing a Google search about my Great Grandfather Francis Henry Bishop and came about this post, thanks so much for all the information on him. It has been really fascinating to read and has given me a few new leads. I knew from my grandparents that Francis was a successful property developer and I also knew he ran public houses in Hastings. My grandfather Ronald Francis Bishop and grandmother Beryl Joy Bishop looked after the Carlisle after the war. I am unsure if they are listed as running it? I presume they managed it for Francis? I have seen pictures of them behind the bar and I know it was a big part of their lives and they worked very hard.

I am revisiting this part of my family tree again and can tell you that Francis was born in London around 1887 in Wood Green. He was listed in 1911 as Licenced Victualler of Abingdon Arms, 54 Abingdon
Road,Kensington. He was also listed as a Licenced Victualler at his marriage in 1912 at Finsbury Park.

I believe he came to Hastings between 1912-13 with his wife Florence Mabel Bishop. They are both resting in peace in Hastings Cemetery. Francis died in Hastings 11th October 1966 and Florence in 1950.

If you manage to find anything else about him, I would love to hear! My mother doesn't know very much about her Grandfather as business wasn't mentioned much in our family (all very hush hush and private)! But I am fascinated by my ancestors.

Shell

Postby Shell » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:42 pm

Thought you might like to see a picture of Francis Henry Bishop.

[img://www.hastingsforum.co.uk/forums/sf_attachments/Francis_Henry_Bishop.jpg]

Gerry Glyde

Postby Gerry Glyde » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:33 pm

8-9 Alpine Road at the junction of Plynlimmon Rd was known as Alpine Stores up to the 1970s. It was an off licence on one counter facing Plynlimmon and a grocers on the other side facing West Hill. The owners were quite strict and I would not risk trying to buy cider as a young teenager. The shop was always quite dark inside although I rarely went there as we shopped at the other grocers in the street.

terry_again

Postby terry_again » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:28 am

Thank you for the photo Shell.

Apologies for the late reply. This is due to a combination of illness and a house move.

I can tell you that FH, Bishop was involved in a London (Wandsworth) auctioneering business as late as 1922 when his partnership was disolved by mutual consent. One mystery I've never been able to solve is who actually owned the Carlisle. A newspaper article in 1919 lists FH. "Harry" Bishop as the owner, but in 1922 the National Archives states that the pub was sold by Cobbs Brewery, but it doesn't say who they sold it to. I assume it was the Star Brewery. They had certainly acquired it by 1930. Harry Bishop remained as landlord throughout this period. The pub was extensively rebuilt in the early 1930s and He seems to have temporarily moved out whilst the building work was going on.

There is a great deal of interest concerning the history of the Carlilse. It was originally built in 1825 by local businessman Richard Chandler the elder as the Pelham Arms Tavern. It was partially rebuilt circa 1860s and extended in 1892 when. after a brief period as the Pelham Hotel, it changed its name to the Carlisle Hotel. The internal arrangements were altered extensively in 1899 and again by FH Bishop in 1913. Another extension was built in 1920, but that lasted only ten years before the above mentioned rebuilding.

The pub is now a lively live music venue and has recently been extensively refurbished internally yet again. It is a well known meeting place for bikers, ageing hippies, punks and people who simply don't fit anywhere else. Despite the fearsome appearance of some of its regulars, it's one of the safest and friendliest pubs in town.

I would be grateful if you could post any old pictures you have of the pub. As I said, there is a great deal of interest in its history and also in FH. Bishop who ran the pub for the longest period of any landlord.

Shell

Postby Shell » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:55 pm

[quoted]
Terry again wrote:
Thank you for the photo Shell.

Apologies for the late reply. This is due to a combination of illness and a house move.

I can tell you that FH, Bishop was involved in a London (Wandsworth) auctioneering business as late as 1922 when his partnership was disolved by mutual consent. One mystery I've never been able to solve is who actually owned the Carlisle. A newspaper article in 1919 lists FH. "Harry" Bishop as the owner, but in 1922 the National Archives states that the pub was sold by Cobbs Brewery, but it doesn't say who they sold it to. I assume it was the Star Brewery. They had certainly acquired it by 1930. Harry Bishop remained as landlord throughout this period. The pub was extensively rebuilt in the early 1930s and He seems to have temporarily moved out whilst the building work was going on.

There is a great deal of interest concerning the history of the Carlilse. It was originally built in 1825 by local businessman Richard Chandler the elder as the Pelham Arms Tavern. It was partially rebuilt circa 1860s and extended in 1892 when. after a brief period as the Pelham Hotel, it changed its name to the Carlisle Hotel. The internal arrangements were altered extensively in 1899 and again by FH Bishop in 1913. Another extension was built in 1920, but that lasted only ten years before the above mentioned rebuilding.

The pub is now a lively live music venue and has recently been extensively refurbished internally yet again. It is a well known meeting place for bikers, ageing hippies, punks and people who simply don't fit anywhere else. Despite the fearsome appearance of some of its regulars, it's one of the safest and friendliest pubs in town.

I would be grateful if you could post any old pictures you have of the pub. As I said, there is a great deal of interest in its history and also in FH. Bishop who ran the pub for the longest period of any landlord.

[/quoted]

Thanks for your reply Terry :) I know that my grandparents were running the pub after the war, their names were Ronald Francis Bishop (Ronnie he liked to be called) and Beryl Joy Bishop (nee Jepson). My grandmother's family ran the shop Jepson's in Robertson Street. I will see if I can find any pictures of them in the pub.
The Bishop family came down from London, so it doesn't surprise me that Francis had a business up there. As to who owned the pub I am unsure, I know at one stage he had 5 pubs in the town, including a couple in the Old Town and I think the 1 in Ore.

terry_again

Postby terry_again » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:51 pm

Those I'm aware of are the Rising Sun joint landlord with several partners (old town), the Lord Nelson joint landlord with Robert Ambrose (old town) and King's Head joint landlord with Harry Boyd (Ore). These were all Star Brewery pubs and became Courage pubs circa 1958 when Courage took over the Star Brewery.

His property business (Hastings Estates?) seems to have been wound up in the late 1950s.

Return to “Historic Hastings”