Buckets and Spades

Looking for info on Hastings & St Leonards past times. Post here!
Patvic

Buckets and Spades

Postby Patvic » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:47 pm

Looking through Flickr I spotted an old postcard for Buckets and Spades,the Jewish Home for Mentally Handicapped Children situated in Hastings..Can anybody tell me where it was ?

lorna_crouch

Re: Buckets and Spades

Postby lorna_crouch » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:45 pm

it was situated in old church road,hollington,st leonards on sea.

patrick

Postby patrick » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:55 am

Thank you Lorna for your response..I have tried to contact the person who posted the postcard on Flickr but no answer..have looked through various local directories but with no luck..Could it have been the Brentwood Invalid Children's Aid Association ?

Maureen head

Postby Maureen head » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:58 pm

Buckets and spades was a Jewish holiday home for Mentally handicapped Children. It was actually in churchwood road off old Church road. I worked there for several summers from 1972-1978. There were children of all types of handicap. There were quite a few came down from Ravenswood..
Nowadays we would call it respite care. I loved working there.we took children to Drusilla's , the Brighton aquarium..the children weren't all Jewish. They had a week or two weeks. Going home was Saturday and new children came on Sunday.A lot of the care staff came from Hollington..

Tracy Shaw

Postby Tracy Shaw » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:32 am

Hi - my father, Tommy Shaw, was the Chairman of the charity for decades. Buckets & Spades was a significant part of our lives with dad taking my brother and I to the home during school holidays to help in the dining room and the playground. As children we were also enlisted to sell tombola tickets at the annual fund-raising ball. I remember when the army came to build an 'adventure' playground with climbing frames and Smithy the matron. Parents would have our family home phone number and evenings were often spent listening to dad on the phone talking with exhausted parents who were looking for somewhere safe and homely for their children so the parents could get a break. At that time there was little provision for complex issues that some of the children and their families were living with. I am still in touch with some people who were on the youth committee, now in their 60's and 70's. When dad resigned, nobody could be found to replace him as he did the work for no money and as a result, the home closed. The funds from the sale of the building went towards a new building named 'Buckets and Spades' at the Norwood Charity in North London. if anybody has any photos, I'd love to see them!

Nigel Hubbers

Postby Nigel Hubbers » Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:12 pm

Good to find this listing. My mum Alice Hubbers was an early member of the group together with Vivien Plascow and others.
My memory was from the sponsored walk that took place between Tonbridge and Battle where the Home was located. I can't remember exactly what year it took place but I think that I was quite young and so could have been in the early 60's. I know that my sponsors were both happy and sad when parting with thier dues since they didn't expect a couple of little people to be able to complete the 32 mile stretch which we did. Anyway thats my contribution. If anyone else was on the walk or can remember exactly when it took place I would love to hear from you. Warm greetings. Nigel Hubbers

Return to “Historic Hastings”