Was Bannow Retirement home once called Quarry House?

Looking for info on Hastings & St Leonards past times. Post here!
terry_again

Re: Was Bannow Retirement home once called Quarry House?

Postby terry_again » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:49 pm

I believe Bannow was once occupied by the Charles Dickens Home for Blind Ex-servicemen. Shortly after and perhaps before the first world war.

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:02 pm

Our Photo of Bannow Retirement Home

A fantastic looking building. Pitty it's right next to our wreck of an old college.

teri_willis

Postby teri_willis » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:25 pm

I've had a Private Investigator help me search for my Grandfather and even he turned up nothing. Which such little information I have I am starting to feel it's useless. He is listed on my mums birth certificate as a "Houseman" and I am to believe this can be either one of two things; a young intern or a janitor type duty. Given he listed his address as Quarry House and it was a convalescent home the PI thought it was more likely he was an Intern probably military given it was for ex servicemen and the year but there are no records that are a good enough match :(

AtchCee

Postby AtchCee » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:56 pm

Bannow is on lefthand side of Quarry Hill going uphill, Quarry House was almost opposite and was demolished to build flats. During the war when I was 4/5 years old, Bannow was used as a convalescent home for the blind and Quarry House (opposite) was a convalescent home for the armed services.

Return to “Historic Hastings”