miniature village

Looking for info on Hastings & St Leonards past times. Post here!
jane_ogborne

miniature village

Postby jane_ogborne » Tue May 03, 2011 2:41 pm

Does anyone remember the miniature village? I think at White Rock? Loved that place as a kid

sheila_jenner

miniature village

Postby sheila_jenner » Tue May 03, 2011 4:53 pm

[quoted]
jane ogborne wrote:
Does anyone remember the miniature village? I think at White Rock? Loved that place as a kid
[/quoted]

Yes I remember it well, it was called "White Rock Model Village" next to the childrens play area which you paid to take children into, I was born in Hastings but now in Shropshire, but took my own children down to the play area when they were young.

Geoff
Site Admin

Re: miniature village

Postby Geoff » Wed May 18, 2011 7:01 pm

The miniature village was called Gannymede and was in White Rock Gardens (where the crazy golf is now, next to Clambers).

I have been collecting postcards of it and will upload some to the gallery when I get a chance. Don't hold your breath though as I am really busy with other areas of the site at the moment.

Geoff

john_gale

Postby john_gale » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:32 pm

[quoted]
Administrator wrote:
The miniature village was called Gannymede and was in White Rock Gardens (where the crazy golf is now, next to Clambers).

I have been collecting postcards of it and will upload some to the gallery when I get a chance. Don't hold your breath though as I am really busy with other areas of the site at the moment.

Geoff
[/quoted]

Oh dear Geoff !! There's no crazy golf there anymore im afraid.It has been replaced by some kind 'Call of duty' lazer war game/park of somekind.Its all a bit yuck really !!! Another sign of the times I guess!

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:36 am

Oh dear indeed John. Looks like i'm out of date. Shame to lose the crazy golf, I thought they held the UK championships there too. But I guess we are blessed with some great courses on the seafront to make up for it.

r_pollard

Postby r_pollard » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:14 am

Yes, I remember the Model Village very well indeed. I spent many happy an hour paddling through the man made streams laying (PVC cables) what was new then in the water to supply electricity to most of the houses etc, in the village, this was in 1961/2. Each house was lit by a single 60 watt light bulb plugged into a normal batten holder, this would never be allowed today with the Health and Safety Rules_ _ _..Oh no! The village was the brain waves of Mr Stanley Daboo. Each house was made in sections in the onsite workshops made from cement spread over small chicken wire, the roof tiles were made individually and placed on a sheet of ply board. We found out how these were made when my mate fell backwards and demolished a complete house, mind you within 24 hours a replacement was made from parts in the workshop and Mr Daboo never knew_ _ __ _ __ _ __ _ _Well, that's up till now that is!

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:46 pm

Did the crazy golf get replaced in 2010 or 2011?
Just so I can get my facts right.

john_gale

Postby john_gale » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:56 am

[quoted]
Administrator wrote:
Did the crazy golf get replaced in 2010 or 2011?
Just so I can get my facts right.
[/quoted]

As far as I'm aware it only happened this year. I must have walked past there dozens of times but only noticed the change in April

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:58 pm

Many resorts had these 'model' / 'miniature villages'

Here is a video clip :-

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=2329

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:38 pm

Beryl Small from New Zealand has kindly sent in some old photos from August 1975 of her husband and son at the model village.

These will bring back some memories_ _ _

[img://www.hastingsforum.co.uk/forums/sf_attachments/beryl_small_montage.jpg]

Return to “Historic Hastings”