miniature village

Looking for info on Hastings & St Leonards past times. Post here!
nik_radcliffe

Re: miniature village

Postby nik_radcliffe » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:02 pm

Thanks to Beryl Small for her excellent photos, It took me back. I spent many a day in Gannymede. In the 1950's it was a favorite spot for nannies to commune whilst their charges played within what was one of the few enclosed areas in those days. Is Stan Deboo still with us? I last saw him in Battle about 20 yeras ago.

camilla_deboo

Postby camilla_deboo » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:09 pm

I am so happy to see all these comments on the model village in Hastings! It was built by my father when I was a little girl in the 60's and in fact the little girl with curls, looking thru the windows on her hands and knees is me, at the age of 2!!( in the Pathe cine of Gannymede). Sadly my dear father passed away 3 years ago but it would have made his day to see all this interest as he loved it with a passion and loved every moment of building it.

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:27 pm

[quoted]
Camilla Deboo wrote:
I am so happy to see all these comments on the model village in Hastings! It was built by my father when I was a little girl in the 60's and in fact the little girl with curls, looking thru the windows on her hands and knees is me, at the age of 2!!( in the Pathe cine of Gannymede). Sadly my dear father passed away 3 years ago but it would have made his day to see all this interest as he loved it with a passion and loved every moment of building it.
[/quoted]

Hi Camilla. It's excellent to have a relation of Stanley Deboo posting on the forum. I am sorry to hear he has passed away. Like so many other locals and visitors to Hastings I really enjoyed the model village and think Hastings had one of the best examples in the country.

If you have and photos of your own I would be very keen to see them and maybe add them to the site. If you send me a PM we can swap email addresses.

Thanks again for your contribution.

Geoff

teresa_stokes

Postby teresa_stokes » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:01 pm

I used to love going there in the early 1960s and walk my doll around it, and remember in the church there was recorded singing going on inside!

susan_howarth

Postby susan_howarth » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:42 pm

[quoted]
R Pollard wrote:
Yes, I remember the Model Village very well indeed. I spent many happy an hour paddling through the man made streams laying (PVC cables) what was new then in the water to supply electricity to most of the houses etc, in the village, this was in 1961/2. Each house was lit by a single 60 watt light bulb plugged into a normal batten holder, this would never be allowed today with the Health and Safety Rules_ _ _..Oh no! The village was the brain waves of Mr Stanley Daboo. Each house was made in sections in the onsite workshops made from cement spread over small chicken wire, the roof tiles were made individually and placed on a sheet of ply board. We found out how these were made when my mate fell backwards and demolished a complete house, mind you within 24 hours a replacement was made from parts in the workshop and Mr Daboo never knew_ _ __ _ __ _ __ _ _Well, that's up till now that is!
[/quoted]
Hi, I am building my own miniature village in my garden and using marine ply to construct the buildings coverd over with concrete so I am able to inprint bricks, as you can quess this is working out to be expensive but after reading your post I will give it a go with the chicken wire. I am so glad I came across your post. Thank you : )

nosferatu

Postby nosferatu » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:41 pm

Well remember the model village. We were often taken there when kids by mum. Fascinating place. Seems it took three years to build and opened on 19th February 1955. Sadly was forced to close in December 1998 after repeated episodes of vandalism by our friendly local yobs. The last act caused around GBP5,000 worth of damage. There was also a floral clock at the entrance to White Rock Gardens. Large construction, around 4 meters or so in diameter, with flowers of all colours. Not sure when this was dismantled, but this would not last five minutes these days, would it? Anybody else remember this?

john_gale

Postby john_gale » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:23 pm

[quoted]
nosferatu wrote:
There was also a floral clock at the entrance to White Rock Gardens. Large construction, around 4 meters or so in diameter, with flowers of all colours. Not sure when this was dismantled, but this would not last five minutes these days, would it? Anybody else remember this?
[/quoted]
I believe the floral clock was only removed about 4 or 5 years ago_ _ _it always appeared to be stuck on the same time so maybe it had just broken done beyond repair and not vandalised ?
It has been replaced by a fabulous plant/flower display and the local council gardeners do a great job keeping it looking good.
I pass it regularly .

nosferatu

Postby nosferatu » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:03 pm

The council gardeners do a good job, don't they? There's always some really nice displays around. I didn't realise the clock had lasted that long. I don't tend to go past that spot too often. Wonder what happened to the clock mechanism? Scrapped, probably. Or gone to join the remains of the Memorial clock tower. Thanks for that info, John.

siddy

Postby siddy » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:35 pm

Camilla,
Dont know if you will remember me but I had the greatest of pleasure of working with your dad for many years at all the places he either owned or leased,he even had me digging a new fish pond when you lived in Baldslow down and you were a little toddler.
Then spending a long time working on the barn at Telham.
I'm so sad to hear that he has passed away.
I owe him so much for teaching me how to build models etc.
Truly a wonderful man.
Sid.

Brian

Postby Brian » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:19 pm

Hello Sid

I'm researching the old Ramsgate Model Village, another one of Stanley Deboo's masterpieces.

I'm particularly interested in how you constructed the buildings perhaps you will divulge your secrets to me:)

Please get in touch.

Brian

Return to “Historic Hastings”