DeVitos Cafe Hastings

Looking for info on Hastings & St Leonards past times. Post here!
Richard

Re: DeVitos Cafe Hastings

Postby Richard » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:11 pm

Hi Gerry,

It looks as if you are saying that the earlier photo, down towards the Cinema from the Snooker Club, shows 'DeVitos' before it moved across the road and spread the length from 'Gregg's' to Russell Street, i.e. along the stretch now occupied by 'Mad for Mobiles' and the Key cutting and shoe repair Kiosks.

Would that have been after or before WWII? - it must have been both a business expansion and a change of business to cater for a different market.

Richard

Postby Richard » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:41 am

Of course it must have been Grill Cafe at least into the 1960's when the council engineers took the picture, ignore the bit about WWII - I must be cracking up !! :)

Gerry Glyde

Postby Gerry Glyde » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:36 am

'Cracking up' is a thing that may well befall us all!

I worked part time at Divitos circa 1969-1972. The business of a grill was not in existence at that time. The Queen's Rd business was run by the younger Divitos (two sisters and the husband of one of them) Their mother used to come in from time to time so the parents may well have retired. I cannot recall the Grill House but if the council photo was 1960s then it was there when I was a lad

Richard

Postby Richard » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:22 am

so the hunt is on for a picture of the DeVitos Mark 2.
with dates would be a bonus.
:)

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:07 pm

This bus photo from the Claire Pendrous Collection on flickr gives us a sneeky look a Divitos in Queens Road. Interestingly only 2 years later than the Albert Road photo from the Borough Engineers.

divitos-queens-road-1969.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8050359@N ... 21/sizes/l

Gerry Glyde

Postby Gerry Glyde » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:50 pm

I don't know much about cars but I would estimate the style indicates early 1960s. The women with hats and some with scarves would support that date. This must have been a bus fiend photo and they would be able to identify it in a flash including where the vehicle was built

Boots chemist behind the bus and Flynns Dry cleaners and Dewhurst Butchers in the back ground. (Self-deprecating joke from way back then, 'he's got more mince than Dewhurst!)

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:57 pm

1969 according to the Flickr page (all about buses of course).

Richard

Postby Richard » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:06 pm

It also states that the above scene is recognisable today, although the building that housed Divito's Ice cream parlour was demolished to allow for the re-alignment of Albert Road.

Gerry Glyde

Postby Gerry Glyde » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:17 pm

Richard wrote:It also states that the above scene is recognisable today, although the building that housed Divito's Ice cream parlour was demolished to allow for the re-alignment of Albert Road.

I was right it is a bus fiend photo! I am not wholly convinced that the demolition went that far up. Must check on my next visit; I am possibly wrong, memory fades because I did not get into town much on brief visits to family. I had forgotten that younger women still wore head scarves by that date. Looking back,long hair on men and wacky clothes must have been such a shock to older people, little did they know that a few years on they would have to experience punk.

Have hipsters hit trendy Hastings yet?

Richard

Postby Richard » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:30 pm

Sounds a fairly well-considered response, Gerry, over the demolition commentary.
Regarding 'hipsters' who use fashion to gain an identity apart, or perhaps as a status symbol, I guess, in the main people in Hastings still dress down to feel comfortable in public, as is the habit in the S.E., but there is definitely a small, fashion-conscious element, who buck the trend, dress to impress and enjoy the difference.
I can't quite imagine those 'hipsters' actually dressing up to take part in the local celebrations or festivals but there you go, it takes all sorts!!

Return to “Historic Hastings”