Alpine Road butchers

Looking for info on Hastings & St Leonards past times. Post here!
Gerry Glyde

Re: Alpine Road butchers

Postby Gerry Glyde » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:18 pm

The original poster wanted to know the name of the butcher's shop, which seems to have been C Crouch for a number of years and is shown on one of the photos.

Other things we have established are certainly interesting to me, maybe to others and possibly, though not directly to BisleyBullet. He may have made a mistake on dates when his ancestor was working and living as he would have been a butcher at two years old. There were two Thomas John McConnell, father and son.

The census gives the dates of where Thomas J (son) was living in 1891, 1901 and 1911, that was 37 Emmanuel Road, 109, Manor Road and 9 Emmanuel Road respectively. He was a butcher on all those dates. The 1901 census states that he was working at home as a butcher. By 1911 his status says he was again employed as he was in 1891.

It does not appear that the butchery was a family business as the father, Thomas John, was a carpenter. L McConnell was granted probate for a T J McConnell in 1897, this was possibly T J senior's wife Louisa

Not sure that there is anything further we can find for BisleyBullet

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:07 pm

Great sleuthing on behalf of others GG, people need to be encouraged to research their family history and perhaps attempt to draw up a chart showing their family relationships more clearly.
This is, from my experience, a very good way to visualise the situation amidst the flurry of paper notes arising.

I would recommend the use of a simple 'key' using abbreviations, considering space restraints on a chart, along the lines of the following:

1. b. = born (location)
2. la. = living at
3. ba. = baptised (location/church)
4. m. = married (date and church)
5. di. = divorced
6. d. = died
7. bu. = buried
8. o. = occupation

I know there are several programs these days that produce a standard chart, but nothing is (in my opinion) better than drawing one up yourself and keeping it as a personal ' quick reference' and memento.
Also a pocket-history document, running a story into the background of the family, is of itself something to treasure, and probably of great interest to other family members.
Photographs, where possible of course, add to the interest.
Last edited by Richard on Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimbreeds

Postby jimbreeds » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:13 pm

On my Facebook post on this subject, one Adrian Crouch, Grandson of the butcher has made himself known. I have replied to direct Adrian to this thread :)

Gerry Glyde

Postby Gerry Glyde » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:58 pm

Richard, I do adopt the narrative approach to family history; to weave the people into the facts about the places and times that those ancestors were living, rather that the names dates and relationships that are quite boring to read. Last year I completed a family history for a friend that was entitled "Victorian Morals - Family Life in Rural Sussex". I established an amount of illegitimacy and also a scandalous divorce case reported in the press, involving an 18 year old lad seduced, by the wife of a local doctor in Battle who was twice his age. The boy joined the army and left the country by the time of the trial! With the text, copies of documents, extracts from Poor Law guardian minutes and newspapers it was about 100 pages. Not suitable for the pocket.

My mate is still trying to understand who all the people were, who was having sex with whom, including the transportation of three men for stealing some boots. One of whom with a quip to the judge from the dock, who said he did not mind transportation "because he had been to sea before"!

Oldhands mike

Postby Oldhands mike » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:18 pm

hi
just had a look at this foto of the Butchers ,are you sure it is taken in Alpine road,the road at the extreme right hand side seems to be going up hill and the houses are not the same as shown on google earth ,I seem to remember this area was flat apart from the drop down in plynlimmon road down to the swings

Gerry Glyde

Postby Gerry Glyde » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:53 am

Well spotted. The assumption of the location was from the information given by the original poster, however you are correct in respect of the frontages of the houses on the right, if that was Plynlimmon, which were two storey above ground, with flat windows and doors directly on to the street.

As far as memory allows there will be only a couple of roads on the Hill where this maybe although I am not confident. It could be the junction of Emmanuel and Whitefriars, or Emmanuel and St Thomas Rd. The properties on the right, if this is the location, were replaced by modern flats, perhaps around 1960. There were shop units on the junctions of the streets although I maybe wrong about St Thomas. (have never got the hang of google streets to look!). If it was Emmanuel that would tie in with the residences found in the census, although I am not sure of the number sequence

billybob

Postby billybob » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:41 pm

Junction of Emmanuel and Whitefriars.

A number of features in the picture correspond with a property standing on the NE corner. Emmanuel Road shopfront, with a view up Whitefriars Road on the right?

Good observations from the previous posters.

Return to “Historic Hastings”