Schools in All Saints Street?

Looking for info on Hastings & St Leonards past times. Post here!
Richard

Re: Schools in All Saints Street?

Postby Richard » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:49 pm

To Richard Pollard - "The Creek" must have referred to the Bourne, now culverted, it used to run along the site of the present road but did not flow directly down to the beach.
It dropped down below the Old Town Wall and turned to Winkle Island and thence through to the beach.
The name 'Creek Steps' is no longer shown anywhere along the passageway, there is not any name at all nowadays, something for the council to rectify (ho ho!).

To Gerry - There may be some uncertainty about this but number 57. clearly shows two identical arched entrances, it is more than plausible that one was for girls and one for boys.
A picture would be proof but I haven't found one yet.
Sarah, Countess of Waldegrave was something of a puritan (albeit a very generous benefactor to Hastings) and stipulated separate entrances for boys and girls and even went as far as saying that if boys and girls were allowed to mix in the playground she would withdraw her annual funding.
In 1864 she built a Mission House in All Saints Street, bearing her coat-of-arms.

There was a 'Ragged School' in Tackleway.

Richard Pollard

Postby Richard Pollard » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:57 pm

The creek was a name given to the old Bourne stream that once ran openly down through the Bourne (rightly stated that it is now covered in), the steps and path way (alley way!) were known and named as 'The Creek', but the name here and a lot of other places ceased to exist after the mass demolition in the Bourne.
The Bourne stream ran very slowly through the Old Town as this was a central dumping ground for every ones rubbish, dogs and pigs were let lose in the stream and deposited (what you might think from the rear end!!!) and people did drink this water too, hence all the diseases that the folk had. The Bourne stream runs under the Bourne Car Park another reason as to why no building can be built there. The old stream which is more or less dry now lays just 3 feet under the car park. Since it was dammed up further up in Clive Vale the waters very rarely flow any more. If you haven't read my book/s on the Old Town I suggest that you take a read of them, copies are in the Library and new ones are in Waterstones.
The first one 'A Tribute to Sidney Little' tells the complete story of all his works from when he was first appointed Borough Engineer and Water Engineer from 1925 - 1960. The other tells the story of the destruction of the Old Town entitled:- Hastings Old Town Torn Apart from 1850 - 1963.
This is not a sales propaganda, but these might just interest some people who loved the Old Town as much as I have always done.

cbe

Postby cbe » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:30 pm

Many thanks for the confirmation RP - will make
a point of searching the book/s out

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:39 pm

I have read the Sidney Little book and can vouch for it being an excellent read. Must get myself a copy of the second one.

Here's a couple of links to the books on Amazon...

cbe

Postby cbe » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:35 pm

Cheers Geoff

Richard

Postby Richard » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:37 pm

Yes!! I wasn't aware of the Old Town Book, will try to get a copy soon.

Richard Pollard

Postby Richard Pollard » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:34 pm

Hi Richard, if it's of any help I hold a stock of the books here at home, this way you can obtain copies cheaper than what it will cost you at either Amazon or Waterstones.
Contact can be made via Geoff who will give you my details if you want.

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:54 pm

Ok thanks Richard,
I'll get round to that soon :)

Return to “Historic Hastings”