The Regeneration of Queens Road

Looking for info on Hastings & St Leonards past times. Post here!
moonjiver

Re: The Regeneration of Queens Road

Postby moonjiver » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:20 am

Richard, I'm not sure you are talking about the same street!!

I have never heard Queens Road described as vibrant and dynamic. Kings Road in St Leonards has, in daytime atleast, a very enjoyable atmosphere with some fascinating antique and craft shops and people sitting outside the nice cafes enjoying the sun.

Queens Road by contrast seems very run-down and shabby to me and depressing. Yes, there are some new foreign food shops but places come and close down again - just look at the absence of crowds. A friend recently described Queens Road as intimidating after dark - I agree with that.

I know that some people mourn the old cricket ground but the Priory Meadow complex has turned Hastings into a modern town centre, good cafes and shops and a nice area for the visitors to hang out in the sun. Pity that "ambience" can't by some imaginative tricks be spread down Queens Road.

Richard

Postby Richard » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:40 pm

Priory Meadow is a stereotypical 'plug-in and play' shopping-mall installed by local councils at all seaside resorts trying to find an easy formula for success.
However, it isjust not big enough or home to the sort of shops that would draw in visitors from very far afield. I think it looked rather prestigious, with the custom-cars on display outside M&S recently.
M&S is the kingpin and it's about the only shop I use - to be fair though it is a 'neat little mall' as my elderly Texan relative opined recently.
It's true that on the Wellington Mews side, with the numerous alleys and lock-ups, that petty crime is rife, witness the totally-gated small house-fronts and other security measures in place along the back streets.
Without foreign shopkeepers Queens road would be even more dilapidated - I am guessing the business rates / rents are much lower the further up the road you go.
The 'Money' or 'cash-generator' shops, which cash cheques or pawn goods, are definitely not to my liking, as neither are the cheap 'fast-food' outlets or crummy cafes.
However, there are positive signs, as noted previously, and derelict properties are being renovated.
I see the 'Imperial' has a notice applying for a license in the window, the previous owners let it go apparently and the opening date may be delayed because an old floor has just been discovered beneath the current (suspended) one.
Looking back at old historical entries I see that Hastings town centre has always been rife with low-life and rough types, with swearing, drunken behaviour and beggary a constant complaint, well over a hundred years ago.

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:57 pm

The Imperial is set to open 19th August.
I note a fairly new 'Emporium' of 'knick-knacks' across from Morrisons, the owner is fairly switched on and has ideas to set up a Queens Road Group - online - more details later.

http://qrehastings.com/index.html

don't touch the tiny dog - it snaps!!

moonjiver

Postby moonjiver » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:54 pm

I actually miscounted - if you really look around Queens Road, there are eleven empty shop units just in the stretch towards Morrisons. Hardly a regeneration going on! Maybe that's slowly changing, depends on how optimistically you see things!

A lot of people criticise Priory Meadow but I rather like it, because it is not a vast impersonal mall on several floors such as you in many towns and the architecture is imaginative, looks like a castle on the outside! It could do with more space for more prestigious stores, but presumably if BHS goes, then another big store might move in. I can't see where further expansion could be fitted in elsewhere.

Richard

Postby Richard » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:59 pm

The 'Peacocks'across from M&S looks to be closing down and there are empty shops, but even Regents St. in London has had numerous empty shops in the recent past.
The council turned down original plans to site the shopping centre up by the old gasworks area, which would have avoided knocking down (and ruining) many smaller shops and closing the Cricket Grounds, around the current Mall site - but that is life!
How would you improve the street now though?

moonjiver

Postby moonjiver » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:51 pm

I suppose that question deservedly puts me on the spot- but it's hard to see how Queens Road could be improved without some redevelopment. Maybe that's what needs to happen. Behind the shops on the opposite side to Morrisons are a number of boarded-up lock-ups and warehouses - maybe that area could be opened up for some new shops and cafes, small pedestrian space etc. But also around the old waterworks site, there is a lot of wasted space and routes could be opened up leading straight to Queens Road - ideas for a decent council to think about!

Richard

Postby Richard » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:10 pm

The council are getting a regeneration plan into play for QR soon acc. to a shopkeeper i spoke to today.

moonjiver

Postby moonjiver » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:31 pm

There you go! Indeed what should be happening. Whether anything more than cosmetic changes will take place - pretty bus shelters and a few trees - remains to be seen.

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:07 pm

It is a business initiative development scheme - the council arranges a 1.5% fee on businesses in the scheme and can get grants from government but it hasn't told the businesses what the money will be used for - yet!!

Richard

Postby Richard » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:36 pm

The empty plot next to 'EPIK', just past Morrisons going north, is going to be a development of 12 Flats, better than a vacant eyesore for a good number of years now.

Return to “Historic Hastings”