Fire at Hastings power station in late 1960's?

Looking for info on Hastings & St Leonards past times. Post here!
Suzane

Fire at Hastings power station in late 1960's?

Postby Suzane » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:58 pm

I'm trying to find out about a fire, which took place in the late 1960's at the Hastings Ore Power Station. Any information about what took place and in which year the fire might have occurred would be really helpful. Many thanks

whiffler

Re: Fire at Hastings power station in late 1960's?

Postby whiffler » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:07 am

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3668 has some info on the site, maybe others you might want to contact.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hastings_Power_Station mentions a fire in 2000

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:47 pm

This is the first I have heard of a fire in the 60's. The major one in 2000 was much reported at the time.

The best person to ask would be our very own Richard P who has a wealth of knowledge on the power station(s) at Broomgrove. I will point him in the direction of this thread.

Richard Pollard

Postby Richard Pollard » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:35 pm

I have to say that I can find no evidence what so ever of a fire during the era's of the 1960/70/80/90s till after it closed, (as everyone knows!) when all the stacked tyres inside the empty building were set alight as a deliberate arson attack, the station had closed down years before. I even went through UK POWER NETWORK, (as I do have a contact there!) and they traced all their records as the previous owners were the CEGB, (Central Electricity Generating Board) and nothing! So, I really can't go much further! Oh yes, I even went through old newspapers of the 1960s and still nothing apart from a big write up for 1966 when the plant opened.
Just to add a small point, this might be getting confused with an identical station to this built in Norwich in the same year as Hastings, of which I do not have any knowledge of other than a site visit when I was working for the CEGB.

There were at least two occasions when a set (gas turbine engine) shattered its blades and went through the engine casing, and making a lot of noise in the process, but no fire! Even the spillage of lubricating oils on the floor were quickly cleaned away, again no fires!
Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings in this case, but I have exhausted all avenues, unless any one else knows different, and I worked there!!

Return to “Historic Hastings”