Alfred Terrace Numbering

Looking for info on Hastings & St Leonards past times. Post here!
Derek Jempson

Re: Alfred Terrace Numbering

Postby Derek Jempson » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:44 pm

This is a section of the 1872 Ordnance Survey map that I found on http://www.historichastings.co.uk. It shows Alfred Terrace situated within Waterworks Road.

Alfred Terrace.jpg

Looking at the 1881 Census, the enumerator's route was as follows:

Up Stonefield Road from the Hastings end to the junction with Nelson Road.
Leftwards into the lower part of Nelson Road.
Across St. Andrew's Road (now Queen's Road) and into Waterworks Road.
He then took details of occupants from numbers 1 and 2 Waterworks Road (possibly the tall warehouse type buildings at the Morrison's end) and then worked from numbers 1 to 9 of Alfred Terrace.
Then he continued as follows:
(indecipherable) Brewery
Numbers 1 to 10 Gas Cottages
Numbers 60 and 95 St. Andrew's Road (Queen's Road)
South Terrace

From that, I would deduce that Alfred Terrace was numbered 1 to 9 from the Morrison's end to the Queen's Road end, but my gut instinct tells me it was the other way round - mostly because the modern numbering goes that way (even numbers 4 to 20).

I suppose the answer to these problems generally is a lot of detective work, but even then the result can be inconclusive.

Richard

Re: Alfred Terrace Numbering

Postby Richard » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:18 pm

The typical form of numbering pattern would originally have been based from the centre of town outwards, with odd numbers on the left-hand side.
This was logival enough to understand because development could normally only spread outwards, but sometmes they may have got it wrong and would then have revised certain street numbers.

Return to “Historic Hastings”