Alfred Terrace Numbering

Looking for info on Hastings & St Leonards past times. Post here!
Derek Jempson

Alfred Terrace Numbering

Postby Derek Jempson » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:32 am

My family history research often points me to a particular terrace of houses in a particular road, but house renumbering in the early twentieth century destroyed the original numbering system, so I have no way of knowing which house within the terrace I am looking for.

As an example, I have known for some years that my paternal grandfather was born at 9, Alfred Terrace, Hastings, but where was Alfred Terrace? I then discovered that Alfred Terrace was within, or near to Waterworks Road, but where? Much more recently, I found that Alfred Terrace was the row of old houses immediately on the right as you enter Waterworks Road. In 1872, the terrace consisted of nine houses, and there are nine houses still today.

My problem now, is at which end of the terrace was number 9? If the numbering was left to right, number nine was the house that is now next door to the Nail Fairy Salon, if it was right to left, it was the house at the other end.

So, was it common practice to number terraces from left to right, or from right to left, or was it purely arbitrary (I suspect the latter). Maybe someone can shed some light?

Gerry Glyde

Re: Alfred Terrace Numbering

Postby Gerry Glyde » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:49 pm

If within a street that was numbered, then logically the terrace within the street would follow the same direction. The given property could theoretically have two numbers, eg1 New Terrace 1, High Street....
It is often possible to see in the stone work below the eaves the old name of a Terrace or Cottages or View. The rest of the street may have been built in subsequent years. An alternative method of discovery of direction would be to look at census returns in subsequent years looking for any repeat names and positions

Derek Jempson

Postby Derek Jempson » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:15 pm

Thanks for that Gerry.

Your mention of census returns has given me an idea. It might be possible in some situations to determine the route of the census enumerator, as he worked along a street. Having determined that, and assuming that he didn't double back at all, when he came to a named terrace, the numbering would follow his direction within the street e.g., 9. 8, 7, 6 or 6. 7. 8. 9.

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:12 pm

The logical way to number a street (in my eyes) would be to start with no.1 at the end most commonly used to enter. As an extreme example, a one way street would have number 1 at the start if you drove down it. Following this format I would say no.1 Alfred Terrace to be at the Queens Road end, next to Nail Factory. You enter the road from this end so surely that would be No.1?

This is just a guess based on my own logic. Having recently tried to find a house in High Street I know how illogical these things can be ;)

whiffler

Postby whiffler » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:29 pm

I was told by a stamp chappie that numbers would be lowest nearer to the Post Office, not sure whether it applies here.

Some numbers appear on maps, but first I can find is 1955, north side is 2-20, south 1-11 missing 7.

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:36 pm

Very interesting Whiffler, thanks.

So looking at a map the terrace is at a slight angle with the (then) post office and this would make the far end (Morrisons end) nearest the PO. This goes completely against my theory. The confusion continues!

Derek Jempson

Postby Derek Jempson » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:12 am

I've just realised that my post's title is wrong. Should be Alfred Terrace Numbering. Where did Albert come from? Interesting replies - thank you.

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:48 pm

Post title corrected ;)

Derek Jempson

Postby Derek Jempson » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:09 pm

Thanks for that Geoff. Albert will be relieved and my grandfather can rest easy! :)

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:21 pm

Derek,
I don't know if the street dirs give any useful info on altered numbering.
Presumably the houses along Waterworks road were built for Gasworks employees around the 1830's when it was itself built there?
Personally, I would go with the the current numbering system and assume it hasn't ever changed - until you learn otherwise.
St. Helens road has always been low-number near the roundabout, increasing further up the road.
Not much help in this particular case but there are some documented street-numbering changes:
At a Council meeting on 16 January 1903, some or all of the houses in the following roads were numbered or re-numbered: Alma Terrace, Baldslow Road, Battle Road, Bohemia Road, Canute Road, Cloudesley Road, Croft Road, De Cham Road, Dudley Road, East Hill Passage, Ebenezer Road, Edmund Road, Godwin Road, Hollington Old Lane, Laton Road, London Road (between North Road and Battle Road), Percy Road, Perth Road, Priory Road, Ross Road, St Helens Crescent, Saxon Road, Springfield Road, Strood Road, Vale Road, Victoria Avenue, Waterloo Place, Wellington Mews and Wood’s Passage. In addition, the many houses at the rear of other houses in the Old Town were given letters (eg, 22a and 22b All Saints Street were to be the numbers of the two houses behind No 22).
:)

Return to “Historic Hastings”