Photo Request - Dorset Laundry

Looking for info on Hastings & St Leonards past times. Post here!
Geoff
Site Admin

Photo Request - Dorset Laundry

Postby Geoff » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:42 pm

An editorial piece about the Dorset Laundry has been kindly donated which I have been busy digitising for the website. The text is very interesting and covers the architecture and early history of the building/business that was in Elphinstone Road.

Unfortunately the photos that were supplied with it are really bad photocopies and mostly unusable. I'm struggling to find anything else out there online. If anyone knows of any photos of the Laundry I will be very interested. If indeed anything exists.

http://www.1066online.co.uk/hastings-history/user-contributions/dorset-laundry.php

Richard

Re: Photo Request - Dorset Laundry

Postby Richard » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:13 pm

Hi Geoff,

Sorry to point it out but there is a typo' at the start of the artcicle you reference, as per the link, under HISTORY:
'In 1395 Payne and Company took over the Cambridge Laundry'
This should of course read 1895?

Also I believe it was located at 75. Elphinstone record (acc. to Nat. Archives records).

I am still looking for pictures...

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:18 pm

Don't be sorry Richard, that's great. I used OCR software to get the text from an old typed document and it needs a thorough read through. Please do point out any errors.

Yes indeed, 75 Elphinstone Road is correct.

Richard

Postby Richard » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:23 pm

Hi Geoff,

The only other obvious ones are contained in the following para:

"In 1973 the Dorset Laundry amalgamated with the Hollington Laundry and Dawn Cleaners, to become the Dawn and Dorset Laundry. Since the death of Harold Payne it is run by Mr. George and Mr. Dennis Davies originally fremthe Hollington Laundry. They are now the only laundry in Hastings; doiné veha to survive as many towns depend entirely on national laundry services. Their business is from schools, hotels, domestic cleaning and their more recent venture into linen and overal hire."

It would be informative to have a map showing the historic sites of laundries in Hastings and we do already have other laundries referenced here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1737&hilit=laundry

jimbreeds

Postby jimbreeds » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:43 pm

Geoff wrote:If anyone knows of any photos of the Laundry I will be very interested. If indeed anything exists.
http://www.1066online.co.uk/hastings-history/user-contributions/dorset-laundry.php

Hi Geoff, Not photos but I wondered if this might be of interest to you? https://www.facebook.com/HAPP1066/photo ... =3&theater

jimbreeds

Postby jimbreeds » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:45 pm

I'm interested to discover that the Dorset Laundry is not listed in my copy of Pike's 1923 directory. Not listed in the trades section under laundries, and number 75 doesn't appear in the Elphistone Road list. Any idea why that may be?

Return to “Historic Hastings”