Hylands Hotel, Hastings

Looking for info on Hastings & St Leonards past times. Post here!
seahermit

Re: Hylands Hotel, Hastings

Postby seahermit » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:53 pm

If you walk through the arch next to the Dripping Well on Cambridge Road, there is a small mews. The pub/inn was on one of the main routes into Hastings and clearly must have attracted a lot of business from coaches coming in.

No idea where the Sussex Hotel is, new to me!

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:06 pm

P.S. Yes, nice photos of the Hylands Hotel. The mews are peaceful but atmospheric. I was surprised how extensive they were, must have been quite busy in their hayday.

There are numerous mews areas off East Ascent but presumably they largely served the local business community and the big mansions nearby. The narrow streets, Gensing Road, North Street etc. were where the plebs lived - hence the miniscule cottages!

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:20 pm

seahermit wrote:No idea where the Sussex Hotel is, new to me!

The Sussex Hotel (now Sussex House) isn't that far away from you Mr Hermit. Have a look round the back next time you're out for a walk along the seafront.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:39 am

Thanks, I'll do just that. I can't keep away from the seafront when the weather warms up. I think I know the building, will have a look later.

The buildings of St Leonards are endlessly fascinating , there is a lot of history if you really look at the details and see where changes have been made.

Richard

Postby Richard » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:06 am

hello Frosty!

Yes, it would be good to see St Leo's in time intervals, say from 1830 through to 1930.
So many sea-front buildings with grand facades now gone.
The hotels alone will indicate a lot and St. Leo's was built mainly for the wealthy gentry and attracted numerous single (spinsters?) women who set up charities and no doubt encouraged the emancipation and votes for women under the suffragettes.

Return to “Historic Hastings”