Hylands Hotel, Hastings

Looking for info on Hastings & St Leonards past times. Post here!
Chris Page

Hylands Hotel, Hastings

Postby Chris Page » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:21 am

I have just been looking at an 1881 Census entry [RG11/1030, folio 6, page 7] for an address of 4 Hylands Hotel Mews, In Rear, St Leonards. The Mews entries are numbered from 1 to 9. Just prior to these entries is the Hylands Hotel, Bosopal Road, and just after the entries are three for Hylands Gardens.

Does anybody know if the 1881 Hylands Hotel is the same premises as the present day Highlands Inn Hotel and Bar in Boscobel Road, please, and if the 1881 Mews still exist?

Thanks for any help.

Chris

Richard

Re: Hylands Hotel, Hastings

Postby Richard » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:51 pm

Hi Chris,

It looks highly likely to be the self-same, albeit with a modern twist to the name.
The Mews being converted to modern apartments:

http://www.information-britain.co.uk/sh ... ce_ID=2744

Geoff has another photo:

https://www.1066online.co.uk/gallery/st ... hlands-inn

Chris Page

Postby Chris Page » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:09 pm

Many thanks for your quick response, Richard.

Can anyone who knows the area tell me if the nine properties in the Mews behind the hotel in 1881, still exist, please?

Chris

Richard

Postby Richard » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:41 pm

I will stroll along and take a look next week, it is too cold at the moment.

Richard

Chris Page

Postby Chris Page » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:50 am

Many thanks Richard, very nice of you. Yes wait until it warms up, and stops snowing. We have had three inches here overnight near Pulborough, West Sussex and it is still snowing.

Chris

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:16 pm

The hotel is not far from where I am near the shore. I have always been fascinated as to why such a big hotel and the mews behind are stuck in what is now really a backstreet. I gather from others that West Hill Road was once a main route into St Leonards, on high ground and therefore safer than following the shore. So the hotel must have been an important stopping off place, with accommodation for the horses and grooms in the extensive mews beyond the arch. It was possible to build using such massive blocks of sandstone because the stone was plentiful nearby and therefore cheaper and more convenient than bricks.

The buildings along the seafront leading on to Bexhill Road must then have been erected later?

Richard

Postby Richard » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:01 pm

West Villa, now 57. Marina was James Burton's house, James started development in 1828.
Decimus designed the majority of the buildings in phase two of Burton-St-Leonard's development starting in the 1850's and completed his father's seafront terrace by building 72 to 82 Marina, his father had only managed to build up to no. 71. by the time Decimus took over.

It is suggested that James Burton designed and built the Highlands Inn, on the western fringes of the development of St. leonards, no. 82 Marina lies almost exactly due south of Highlands Inn.
There is also a Highlands road and drive just north of Archery 'ring-road'.
In all likelihood the rest must have come later, along the Bexhill road.

whiffler

Postby whiffler » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:58 am

OS Plans from 1954/5 and 1971/6 both show numbers in the mews.

Entering under the arch, no. 9 is first on your right (south), followed by 8,7,6.

5 & 4 take the whole east side.

Continuing back on the north side toward the arch, you have 3, 2, 1 ..... and 10 !.

9 & 10 seem slightly smaller than all the others. Seemingly converted later

One good photo through the arch to east among the 32 here - https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Rev ... gland.html

Richard

Postby Richard » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:22 pm

Hi Chris,

I took a walk up there today and it was a winding route up past the old college which is now a huge excavation for a housing estate.

There are now 10 Mews properties, as indicated by whiffler, whether one was split into two, later, is another matter.

some photo's:
Attachments
view along mews.JPG
balcony view.JPG
archway seen from rear of mews.JPG

cbe

Postby cbe » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:00 pm

Excellent photos - like stepping back in time

Return to “Historic Hastings”