West Street

Looking for info on Hastings & St Leonards past times. Post here!
West_Street

West Street

Postby West_Street » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:49 pm

I'm researching West Street, where I live, as part of a year-long project. We have dug out all kinds of interesting information and stories (though are still looking for more, if anyone has any) but have turned up very few photographs/ images.

If you have any, or can think of anywhere we may not have considered (we're already in touch with the History House/ HMAG/ library etc etc) we'd love to hear from you.

Images might include general snaps on the street, outside tea rooms (i.e. A1 cafe, run by the Barham family) the Queen Adelaide, Market Hall, Biker's engineering, the rear entrance of the Hastings Arms etc. Also Market Passage/ Russell Court/ Cutter Lane/ Shell Lane/ Sun Lane/ Hopper's Passage, which all connect to George Street or the seafront.

There was an aquarium upstairs at Market Hall in the 1950s, we'd love to find out more about that. It appears that caged monkeys were also kept up there - we think they were for tourist photographs.

More recently, crowds gather annually behind The Cutter in preparation for the Pram Race and in 2009 (I think) the Jack in the Green parade went along West Street for just one year as they tried out a new route.

We have a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q= ... 20hastings

And a website: www.weststreethastings.co.uk with more information.

Many thanks, Lorna

Richard

Re: West Street

Postby Richard » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:36 am

Really interesting history for a gloomy little ginnel in between two rows of buildings which are at the foot of (West Hill) cliffs, once upon a time lapped over by the sea.
The outer 'terrace' of dwellings included several photographers in Victorian times, at the front for extra light and attracting passing custom I would think. Perhaps a 'Custom House' was at the front too.
I don't know which 'terrace' was developed first or whether it was simultaneous but certainly both seem full of higgledy-piggledy and quirky buildings.
Perhaps the front terrace commanded higher rents since it had access to passing trade and the row behind were occupied by lesser trades and where light and footfall were not so important?

Return to “Historic Hastings”