St Saviours

Looking for info on Hastings & St Leonards past times. Post here!
phyly

St Saviours

Postby phyly » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:36 pm

I am researching the Napoleonic barracks in Hastings. Interested in the names of soldiers buried at St Saviours church. Has the church closed or is it situated outside of the town.
Any help appreciated.

Richard

Re: St Saviours

Postby Richard » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:56 am

Barracks may have been rather hurriedly built in any suitable spot as the capacity of the town to accommodate soldiers eventually became something of a problem.
I believe a Barracks were built in a field (near the turnpike gate) which later became part of Halton, this initially housed the 40th Foot regiment.
Soldiers were first camped out on a field at Ore (1778?) until these barracks became available.
Other barracks were built, such as at 'Bo-Peep' with capacity for 200 soldiers but that was destroyed by fire in 1804.

From local Historian Richard Pollard:
In 1795 the government purchased 30 acres of land at Halton to build barracks for housing troops which were to be deployed defending the South East in respect of a possible invasion by Napoleon. These were occupied in 1804, and at that time this part of Priory Road was called Barrack Road.
During this period the Fortune of War was built and served as the military headquarters, and also providing accommodation for the officers in charge. It was a substantial and superior type of building containing six rooms at ground level, build over a large stone cellar with five rooms and a toilet upstairs...

Notable soldiers who accompanied the troops based in Hastings to defend the town, in case of invasion from Napoleons troops in France, included the following:
Sir John Moore had lodgings over 57. High Street.
General Brent Spencer occupied what is now Nelson's Buildings.
Major-General Sir Arthur Wellesley, later Duke of Wellington was appointed to the command of a Brigade at Hastings and 'quartered at 54. High Street, now an antiques business on the ground floor.

There is a St. Clements Church in All Saints Street, the old town, nearby and many soldiers were also garrisoned in the area, in a variety of accommodation types, Inns, private houses, not just barracks, the Georgian Stables at the top of High Street were converted thus-wise.

It seems strange but I don't think there was a St Saviours Church, although a road of that name exists in St Leonards.
Perhaps someone else can inform us what happened to it?

whiffler

Postby whiffler » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:39 pm

I went a-hunting St Saviours, and also came only upon St Saviours Rd.

The Essex Regt (then 44th foot) were the crew who accidentally burned down the barracks at Bulverhythe - didn't Ion Castro recently name the owner of the building?. The location of St S Rd being atop the cliff abutting the railway at Marina station, it would be where a church of that time might have existed. It would take someone living along that way to know whether there's any unused ground that might have been a cemetary ... or maybe it was lost in cliff falls and/or construction of the railway, whether Marina or W St Leonards. Nothing found on maps 1874 onwards to suggest old church. Nothing visible on 1783 map http://www.envf.port.ac.uk/geo/research ... ell_36.htm

Interestingly, St Saviours Rd contains/ed St Ethelberga's Church, and St Vincent's School (albeit maybe on St Vincent's Rd - where is St Vincent's?). Edit - found 1899 map shows st ethelberga's as St Saviour's Misson Church - nothing at all 1874 or 78

As for Halton, I did stumble across entries in St Mary in the Castle for burials in their cemetery (Wellington Rd) of soldiers & family members based there. Regiments from far & wide - Ayrshire Fencibles or suchlike rings a bell.

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:32 pm

So, St. Saviours' seems unlikely then as the Church where many (any) Napoleonic war British soldiers were buried.

Captain Sir John Kincaid 1787 -1862

Captain Sir John Kincaid was born in Dalbeath, Scotland, in 1787. He fought throughout the Peninsular Wars with Wellington (also a famous resident). At the Battle of Waterloo, Kincaid was Adjutant of the famous 95th (Rifles) a regiment now immortalised by 'Sharpe's Rifles' TV and books series. He lived the last years of his life at 7, Cambridge Road, Hastings (which is still standing) and is buried in Hastings Cemetery. He famously wrote his experiences in 'Adventures in the Rifle Brigade' first published in 1830 and still on sale today. Knighted in 1852 he also held the honorary appointment of senior Exon Yeoman of the Guard.

phyly

Postby phyly » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:37 pm

Thanks all for your help.
I contacted The Keep and got this reply.

There is an Anglican Church of St Saviour in St Leonards but it is now known as St Ethelburga. We hold records and registers, 1895-1990 (ref PAR 471). However, the burials listed in your email are all to be found in the register of St Clement Hastings (PAR 367/1/1/6).

My error but the information may be of help to someone else.

Return to “Historic Hastings”