Halton Boys group

Looking for info on Hastings & St Leonards past times. Post here!
ColinL

Halton Boys group

Postby ColinL » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:18 am

Can any photo detectives place this photo in respect of the place, event or activity?

It was taken circa 1930/31 that I can identify from my dad's appearance. I think that it is possibly the then newly founded Round Table Boys club in North Terrace. If so it was at the old Salvation Army Hall that was leased or rented for the purpose. According to the Observer at the time the club was set up in Halton as being one of the poorest areas of the town. However the boys (young men, post 16) seem to be wearing a reasonable quality of clothing and their apearances including hair is very neat trim and tidy that does not indicate poverty.

In favour of the thought that it is Halton Boys Club is that it it was primarily run by older men 'assisted by their wives' and there was a canteen. The wives probably taught the boys dancing given that a dance floor is mentioned in an article amongst their activities. The club closed each summer so this could be an end of year tea. It could of course be something like a Junior Ancient Order of Foresters Group that would be more in keeping with the boys demeanor and appearance.

To my mind they are too tidy to be street urchins! My nan was too proud to send her boy to something for 'the poor', she would rather have starved, as she regarded herself a cut above the rest. I can imagine her tutting even now!

Any ideas guys
Attachments
img311.jpg

Return to “Historic Hastings”