Old Postcards

Looking for info on Hastings & St Leonards past times. Post here!
ColinL

Old Postcards

Postby ColinL » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:38 pm

The Sussex Historian magazine reports that a new book of old Hasting postcards has been published by author Alan Spree whose ancestors used to produce cards.

It is called Hastings & St Leonard's- the Postcard Collection
Amberley Publishing £14.99. Does not say if it is available from bookshops but the ISBN no is
978-1445691213

Richard

Re: Old Postcards

Postby Richard » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:13 pm

You can buy it on ebay for a lot less ColinL.

ColinL

Postby ColinL » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:38 pm

Support your local bookshops if at all possible otherwise they will close down. A bookshop where you can look at an item is much better than just getting it on eBay that I think operates with Amazon. There is a good independent bookshop open in George St. but recognise that for some people cost is an issue. I expect there are some others in town or the Tourist outlet near the fountain

If people want to get a book by post then try using a company other than Amazon that pays its taxes and contributes to the well being of the country. Try 'wordery. com'. They are an ethical trading organisation. I have just been reading an item of an Amazon employee who returned to work after losing a still born child and who was put on a work performance outcome programme, rather than a supportive programme for the loss of her baby. We can do without that type of employer.

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:40 pm

I do admire your sentiment ColinL.
Unfortunately commercial pressures from British supermarkets have taken business away from traditional food retailing corner-shops, some of whom can't compete. There is a traditional Butcher's shop in Queen's Arcade and a fishmonger's but for how much longer?
There is a local book shop near 'Santander' on Queens Road with discounted titles.
There is one in George Street selling mainly second-hand books but where is the profit?
We have a U.K. chain (variously owned by W.H. Smith and HMV) called 'Waterstones' in Priory Meadow selling new books.
Local shops can nearly always offer a better shopping experience but none can compete on cost alone when Amazon and Google are able to wave the rules.
Having said that, many 'independent' local shops don't pay much in the way of taxes or business rates either and only employ people on a rather low wage, without any company benefits.
It is true that many multinationals demand their 'pound of flesh' without caring much for proper management of the individual and their circumstances.
What irks me particularly is the lofty attitude of the 'line managers' of some British companies who cannot get down on the shop-floor and show that they can do what they demand. They often just rule from 'on-high' and condemn workers who fail to perform, without understanding or involvement and sometimes even without clear guidance of what the job involves.
This allows them to penalise people who don't work out for themselves what is required of them.
John Lennon comes to mind - 'Til you're so f*****g crazy you can't follow their rules'
I believe some companies in more tolerant climes, the Dutch, perhaps, have coffee breaks where workers can talk to management and suggest ideas or ask questions.
The Japanese also seem more enlightened in showing they can do what the workers are required to do.
Clearly there are some British companies with managers who are more 'hands on' but plenty just charge people with achieving tasks instead of saying 'we need to do x.y or z and what do you think we can do to make progress'? Can you help us out?
That says it all from my experience.
Rant over!

ColinL

Postby ColinL » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:25 pm

Hi Richard, the bookshop I am thinking of in George St is all new books and is situated on the left- hand side as you approach from the town centre towards High St. It was certainly open and operational on my visit in the summer. As I recall it had not been open very long.

New businesses like that need to find a niche trade to assist in the shop keeping open.

From a quick look on the map I think it is Hare & Hawthorn bookshop.

Richard

Postby Richard » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:23 am

Hi ColinL, I know the one.
It looks expensive with Italian designer brand notepaper too but with the gentrification of the Old Town it has a niche market.
I don't have money to indulge in luxuries but it would be useful for presents and thanks for mentioning it.

Return to “Historic Hastings”