Anniversary

Looking for info on Hastings & St Leonards past times. Post here!
cbe

Re: Anniversary

Postby cbe » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:55 pm

There are special computer programmes Richard with all the necessary boxes - they also lead up to parents and down to children - very simple to use. Boxes for photos and additional info

cbe

Postby cbe » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:58 pm

A sample provider of such programmes
Attachments
FTM.PNG

Richard

Postby Richard » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:51 pm

The computer programs are helpful to a degree, I used one when they were on those small plastic 3.5" disks.
Brother's keeper was, I think, the name of the program I once used.
They store the data and leave you to fill in the gaps with some helpful prompts.
The real work is done by accessing online resources, visiting grave yards and consulting records.
The Mormons seem to have baptised us all retrospectively and have some useful records too.

Technology doesn't do the leg work but it helps to store data and analyse it in a structured way..

cbe

Postby cbe » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:35 pm

That's exactly it - I had reams of paper filled with details before I started
using these programmes and as regards graveyards I have lost count of the number I have visited.
The ones in Scotland are great as the graves show the wife's maiden name too - very helpful if you only have snippets of information.

ColinL

Postby ColinL » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:30 pm

I should have added that the system that I use has facilities to give the actual source of the information such as GRO, Parish Registers, newspapers. As these trees can be seen by others, the source of the information is useful as it is a verification of accuracy for others who may be researching the same people. Good luck

cbe

Postby cbe » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:14 am

What is the name pf that programme Colin?

ColinL

Postby ColinL » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:50 pm

cbe
Not sure what a pf programme is but I use MyHeritage for the family tree creation with all the boxes for miscellaneous info, witness at weddings, cause of death , source of information etc. I don't use their research sources as they always seem to come up with thousands of citings. I use Find My Past for reasearch and Family Search. Ancestry is also supposed to be used friendly. I doubt I use half the things available on MH

I have had a message from Sussex Family History Group that one of their members has re0cently published a 400 page book of their male line back to 1600s a copy of it is at the East Sussex record office at Lewes..

Enjoy your searches

cbe

Postby cbe » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:11 am

I have used Ancestry for so long that I cannot get used to Find My Past - my son uses both and is happy enough.
By the way 'pf' was my typo for 'of'

Derek Jempson

Postby Derek Jempson » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:33 am

I have used Legacy Family Tree for years. It is not an aesthetically pleasing application ("utilitarian" I think is the word), but it does the job well and has far more functionality than I'll ever use. Everything is stored within the app (photos, documents etc.) and there are endless chart formats for output. Help is a little difficult though - I have tried for ages to discover the correct format for inputting exact event times of day.

northants1066

Postby northants1066 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:12 am

I use Ancestry and IF the info is correct I can trace my ancestors back to a Court Jester in Henry V111 court, but so much seems to be wishful thinking by several contributors.
My maternal Packham line goes back to the Cuckfield area and the local history Society there were very helpful. My paternal line Palmer originate from a village near Yeovil in Somerset and I had a very enjoyable visit there a couple of years ago.

The information that sites such as Ancestry offer is great for bare statistics but you cant beat visiting grave yards and old churches or poring over documents at The National Archives or similar places..

Return to “Historic Hastings”